O'Day Daysailor Gunnel Wood

Jan 20, 2014
Spindrift Daysailor I Clearwater, Florida
Hi Just bought a Spindrift Daysailor I. I believe it is the same as the O'Day Daysailor I. The boat has the large cutty cabin entrance like the DS I. It also has wood floors. I noticed that there are no wood sides or back panels on the boat. Instead someone added padding as a back rest. When I sit on the rails it seems that there is some flex. I have found no soft spots. The tap test is good. Could it be that this boat is missing the side wood panels? Are the wood panels needed to stiffen the rails? Do you generally sail this boat while sitting on the seats or on the rails? Can you sit on the rails when the wood side pieces are present?

Thanks for the help. Eric

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
The O'DAY-built DS I had some form of metal (steel, I think?) reinforcement under the side decks, but Day Sailer Class rules require that the wood coamings be retained. Now, the "good news", DSA specs allow those coamings to be cut down flush with the side deck edge to allow more comfortable sitting on hte side decks, in racing it is common to actually "hike out", that is sit on hte side deck and lean out to windward to help keep the boat upright (most racing Day Sailers have "hiking straps" in hte cockpit, running from just forward of the CB trunk to the aft end of the cockit, you hook your feet under those to help avoid falling over backwards into the water while hiking.)
So, I would check to see what the previous owner used to back up those padded cockpit sides, perhaps, if he/she used wood it has rotted out from water trapped by the padding? I think Spindrift used teak wood for those coamings, O'Day used either mahogany or teak (I think teak was extra-cost option) which are both good boat-building woods and mostly resistant to rot.
Check out the Day Sailer Class Association web site for ideas. www.daysailer.org

Now, you asked whether the boat is generally sailed while sitting on the seats or the side deck? In most conditions it works out well sitting on the seats. however..... as the wind strengthens, I find that the boat gains stability and can handle the wind better if I sit on the side deck while sailing. I use a tiller extension (AKA: Hiking stick) to help me reach the tiller while sitting there. Just a word about sailing in windy areas, ALWAYS, no matter what the wind conditions, keep the mainsheet held in your hand while sailing, use the supplied camcleat to hold the tension, but ALWAYS keep the sheet in hand, since that will allow you to quickly release the mainsheet in a puff and thus spill the wind preventing a capsize if released just as the boat starts to tip. Also, if the wind is blowing a bit strong, it is best to sail without the jib. and raise the CB a bit to better balance the steering (center of sail area moves aft when only mainsail is used so you need to move the center of the CB aft to balance.

I've included a few pic of Precision/Spindrift Day Sailers, to give an idea of the original set up on those boats. As well as a few pics of O'DAY boats. I see that the side decks on the Spindrift boats are semi-supported by backrests from the seats, more like the original (1958-60) O'DAY DS I, than hte later O'DAY DS I (1961?-1970's) which had very little deck support other than hte wooden coamings. It looks like Spindrift used a fairly narrow strip of teak to trim the edge of the deck so there most likely were never the higher coamings like most O'DAY DS I boats have. Now I'm a bit concerned as to why your side decks flex as much as it sounds like they do.
Anyway, I'd still suggest checking out the DSA web site for some ideas, they have a good forum for questions and I am pretty sure yo uwil lfind several owners of Spindrift boats willing to answer any and all questions.

Attachments

Jan 20, 2014
Thanks so much for the info. I found another Spindrift I sailboat. It has wood sides so I guess my boat is missing them. It looks like someone removed them and replaced them with padding. They did not realize that the wood is structural. Well, time to find a source for mahogany. Thanks again. Eric

Nov 25, 2013
Oday Daysailer I Lakeville, NY
Eric-
I'm facing the same issue (gunnels and floorboards missing when I bought the DS1) and I stumbled into a materials solution that was a pleasant surprise. My lumber yard has mahogany flooring leftovers that will be perfect for all my trim, etc. and they are willing to clear it out at $1/ft. As it's tongue and groove, I'm just going to glue up two sections for the wider section as it meets the cuddy.
Just thought I'd share and perhaps you'll find something cheap and suitable too.

Jan 20, 2014
Hi I found a source for mahogany in Florida (www.craftsmensupply.com). I have the floor but it needs a few planks. I will need the gunnel side and back pieces. I am still puzzled as to why the wood connects to the cabin area in front on the O'Day boat but on the Spindrift the wood stops before the cabin. At least that's the way it is on another Spindrift I found. There is not hole on in the cabin area where the wood used to connect on my boat. It seems that it would be essential for strength that the boards would connect in the cabin. Thanks for the info.

Jun 6, 2015
Sprindrift Sprindrift 17' Pompano Beach
Help INFO

I left my Spindrift 17 sit canvas covered for 11 plus years, outside, in storage up in MN. It's now newly here in South Florida. major restoration needed. Any and ALL! insight., of who and what, and where, parts, wood, Tiller arm that Died laying in the years of water in the boat, etc. any and ALL input from All would be greatly appreciated. As 'Ive been way out of the loop. The Afghan '6>'07, IRQ '09>'11.