O'Day center board lift line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2008
O'Day 25 c/b 25 Dividing Creek,Severna Park,MD
I need to replace the center board lift line on my 1979 O'Day 25. The boat is on the hard for the winter and the boat yard blocked the boat under the keel so I can't lower the center board. In the spring when its on the lift I will replace the line. My question is how is the line attached to the board ? Is there any drawings that show how the board is attached? Thanks for any help. Charlie

Attachments

Sep 29, 2008
Oday 222 Western Lake Erie
seaweed,

Here is a pix of my 222 O'Day on the marine lift with the centerboard in the down position,.

This set up just uses an extra long clevis with the centerboard pendant spliced to it, The line is fed up through the shoal keel inside a SS tube to the cockpit. Simple design. I believe Rudy at D & R Marine has these centerboard pendants made up and ready to go.

Attachments

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I need to replace the center board lift line on my 1979 O'Day 25. The boat is on the hard for the winter and the boat yard blocked the boat under the keel so I can't lower the center board. In the spring when its on the lift I will replace the line. My question is how is the line attached to the board ? Is there any drawings that show how the board is attached? Thanks for any help. Charlie
Charley,
Your best bet is to call Rudy at D&R Marine.
http://www.drmarine.com/
He can set you up with a pendant line for your boat and answer any questions that you may have. The connections on the O'Day centerboards vary on certain boats. Some have a wire to rope connection and some have a rope to shackle. The 1975 OD 25s have a winch on the table stancheon in the cabin for raising the board, and the later models have the pendant line exiting into the cockpit. Lucky Bum and I have the same kind of centerboard pendant line configuration on our O'Day 222s, but I'm not certain what you have on your 79 OD 25. Perhaps someone who owns a 79 will chime in. When you get your new pendant line, you're going to want to attach it to the old pendant line at the keel, and pull it up through the pipe. When I did mine in my yard, I tied a strong string to the end of my old pendent line in the cockpit, and pulled it in from the keel. Then I tied the end of my new pendant line to the string at the keel, and pulled it up into the cockpit. My centerboard keel slot also has a smaller recess up inside where the pendant line pipe enters, and there is a small sheave in the top of that recess where the pendant line runs through. Your boat probably has the same set-up, if your pendant line comes into the cockpit like mine. Anyway, it's best to have everything ready for doing this job on the day that it's going to be lifted.
Joe

Attachments

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
Centeroard Line

Hi, I have a 1975 od25 and am going to drop my centerboard very soon. I have the stainless cable running to the table stanchion as previously mentioned. I need to drop it to sand and bottom paint the inside of the trunk and the entire board. I will take some picks for future posts. I think that previous post stated the DR marine has the rope pendents that can replace the wire? It should be a simple arraingement but i agree-know what you got-no where you are going, and have it all at hand as well as sealant for the screws that hold the thing to the boat. Patrick

T

Teepee

If ...

your center board line comes up in the cockpit and you tie it off with a cleat, I would use a 1/4 in line. All you have to do is tie a short looped bowline knot at the CB and feed the other end up the tube to the cockpit and you are done. The CB does not weigh much and is easy to lift or release. The one thing I would do, once the CB is all the way down, I would then pull the CB back up about 6 inches and then tie it off. Why would I do this? Well, it is because, if you should hit something with the end of the CB and it swings back down, the force coming back down could damage the CB pivot area. It happened to me.
Have a good day.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Hi, I have a 1975 od25 and am going to drop my centerboard very soon. I have the stainless cable running to the table stanchion as previously mentioned. I need to drop it to sand and bottom paint the inside of the trunk and the entire board. I will take some picks for future posts. I think that previous post stated the DR marine has the rope pendents that can replace the wire? It should be a simple arraingement but i agree-know what you got-no where you are going, and have it all at hand as well as sealant for the screws that hold the thing to the boat. Patrick
Patrick,
When I talked to Rudy about replacing the pendant line cable on the 75 O'Day 25, he told me himself that you can replace it with a braid pendant line and do away with the wire cable. The reason why I asked was because I had delivered one of these boats from the Cape to our club in Dighton Ma. several years ago, and the centerboard was stuck up in the keel slot. The board on your boat is made of Fiberglass. This much I know, because I went underwater and hefted it with one of our members who had his scuba gear on, and had just freed up the board. However, I didn't get a look at the cable attachment point on the board. Your board may have a 1" hole near the trailing edge, along with a smaller diameter hole on the trailing edge leading into the larger hole where the wire comes in and terminates somehow in the larger hole. I've seen pictures of an OD 25 centerboard with a notch in the trailing edge in this location for the cable. You're really not going to know until you get your centerboard down and take a look up in there. This past spring, I pulled my board out of my 222 and checked the pivot pin which was still in great condition along with the pendant line and shackle. I cleaned and painted the inside keel slot along with the board and slapped it all back together. The wedges needed a little Fiberglass reconstruction and I added two wood screws that were missing. Otherwise, it was a very easy job for a backyard boat DIYer with questionable knowledge, such as myself. You can learn a lot about your boat by doing it yourself. The only thing that you need to be aware of when you convert from wire to braid rope is; There isn't a whole lot of room between the sheave inside the centerboard slot and the trailing edge of the centerboard when the board is all the way up. So you'll need to be mindful of this when you make the pendant line connection to the board. You may not even have a sheave in the keel slot of your boat because the cable goes straight down from the table pedestal. I really don't know. The difference in the width of my centerboard and the depth of the keel slot was 1" on my boat, but I used the same type of pendant line and shackle that came stock with my boat. Good Luck guys!
Joe

Dec 9, 2008
O'Day 25 c/b 25 Dividing Creek,Severna Park,MD
Thanks to all the O'Day onwers for the info about the center board lift line. I checked with D&R Marine and they have a line made for the boat.
Regards, Charlie

Sep 12, 2005
Oday 25 Escondido, CA
Thanks to all the O'Day onwers for the info about the center board lift line. I checked with D&R Marine and they have a line made for the boat.
Regards, Charlie
I went to my local rigging guy and he had an old wire to line halyard that was the perfect size. I borrowed a swage tool and it seems to be working alright. Good luck.

p.s. Mine is the 1976 25' and the line comes into the cockpit just below the traveler and cleats off to port.

Attachments

Oct 18, 2008
Oday 23 on the hard
DL mairne should have what you need Rudy ex-plant manager of Oday store
Be sure to specify year older 23s and 25s are cable newer double braid with a shackle

Status
Not open for further replies.