O’Day. 40- reefing setup?

Aug 7, 2015
Oday 34 previous, O’Day 40 current Annapolis
Hello O’40 owners-
Can anybody out there give me the lowdown on how your boom is set up for reefing? I looking through the end of my boom today and could see two short pieces of rope that look like they have been tied off to something and perhaps an internal pulley but the ropes are too short to extend through the front of the boom.

I can see there are two rope clutches marked ‘reefing’ on the port side of the boat. My boom does not seem to have a cringe hook at the front of the boom. Any advice helpful.

Thanks,
Lou

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
Hello O’40 owners-
Can anybody out there give me the lowdown on how your boom is set up for reefing? I looking through the end of my boom today and could see two short pieces of rope that look like they have been tied off to something and perhaps an internal pulley but the ropes are too short to extend through the front of the boom.

I can see there are two rope clutches marked ‘reefing’ on the port side of the boat. My boom does not seem to have a cringe hook at the front of the boom. Any advice helpful.

Thanks,
Lou
Is your question about an o'day 34 or 40? I can help with the 34. Send me a PM if its the 34

Aug 7, 2015
I sold my 34 & now have the stretch version. The booms are set up differently & I prefer the arrangement if the 34 much better. thanks

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
If you dont have reef tack hooks, an only two stoppers marked "reefing" my guess would be that it may be a single line system. A photo of the boom cap at the gooseneck would answer that.

Or look here

Aug 21, 2020
Oday 40 Dalhousie Yacht Club
I'd be interested in the results of this post too. although haven't seen my boat first hand, should be coming home next week!

Aug 7, 2015
Fanatic-
thanks much for your post. Earlier today I thought to look at the rig-rite web site who has parts for Isomast spars and the single line system is what was shown.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
FWIW, the single line system on our P31-2 is not rigged per the original design. In the video, the path of our reefing line is marked in red, versus the design path in black. As currently rigged, the system works quite well, I do not know the history of the switch

Aug 7, 2015
The plot thickens- Armed with a schematic downloaded from rig-rite & new cordage I thought I’d just use a steel tape & fish my new lines through the boom. Not as easy as I thought & Long story short, wound up having to take the boom off to get to the sheeves at both ends.

I had assumed that 1/2” dia rope would fit (O’Day manual doesn’t spec) but I could not get it through or across the pulleys at the mast end. Will give it another shot before ordering another 75’ of 10 mm or perhaps 7/16” line. Argh......I hate when what ought to be simple projects Turn out to be real PIA’s......

Aug 7, 2015
BTW- I did scan my manual for Don, anyone needing one can on me.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
1/2" sounds quite thick for reefing lines, I would think 3/8" would do the job better. I'd look at the setup on a few other 40's to see if such large lines are in use for reefing.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
1/2” line is likely too large to fit the diameter of the boom sheaves.

Match the line to the sheaves or you will have friction when trying to haul in on the reef lines.

Reef lines in boom run straight through from boom end to mast.

If you have a block and line inside the boom it likely serves to provide purchase for the out haul. When you try to adjust the outhaul the line is under strain from the sail full of wind. You will need the extra purchase to be able to draw in the outhaul.

Reefing is usually done with the sails luffing not under strain.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston

Reef lines in boom run straight through from boom end to mast.

If you have a block and line inside the boom it likely serves to provide purchase for the out haul. When you try to adjust the outhaul the line is under strain from the sail full of wind. You will need the extra purchase to be able to draw in the outhaul.

Reefing is usually done with the sails luffing not under strain.
FWIW with a single line reefing system, the reefing line inside the boom has two parts, which are connected inside the boom by a double-ended apparatus called a shuttle block...

Aug 7, 2015
Turns out that a 10 mm line works very nicely, my thoughts were that 3/8@dia. Too small. Ordered more rope (again) & will install Friday. Anybody need a good deal on 75’ of never been used 1/2” XLS3?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
FWIW with a single line reefing system, the reefing line inside the boom has two parts, which are connected inside the boom by a double-ended apparatus called a shuttle block...
Not always... my O’Day 322 has a line that runs through the boom to the rear sheaves...no shuttle block.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
To assume that all boats are the same is to believe that all people basically look alike.

You need to inspect your boat for the actual set up and address the issue. There are supporting reasons to have the reef liens run direct rather than with blocks inside the boom. That does not mean all are the same. Each owner chooses what is best for them. Sometimes new owners change the design to fit their wishes.

Aug 21, 2020
Hi LouisMK, trust your ODay 40 is sailing smooth. I'm replacing the reefing lines on my 40. Did you run 3/8"(10mm) or 7/16"(11mm) line? Also do you recall the length of line purchased for each, reef 1 and reef 2?

Aug 7, 2015
Forgot to mention that I did not include the distance from the boon up to the reefing point in the sail. I only installed a reef to the first point

Aug 21, 2020
Louis, your first message may not have gotten posted. were you able to run 3/8" (10mm) or 7/16"(11mm)

Aug 7, 2015
I ran 11 mm because it is easier on the hands & has more strength. When you think about it when you reef there is as much load on a reefing line as there is on a halyard

Aug 21, 2020
had a similar theory as to the halyard size. my reef lines and halyards are 11mm. I'll stick with that. thanks for the help.