O'Day 40 Portlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 24, 2012
O'Day 40 BC Coast
I want/need to replace all of the opening portlights on my '86 O'Day 40. I have a mix of Gray and Beckson. Is that normal or have some been replaced?
Has anyone replace some or all with Bomar 2000 aluminium?

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
My boat came new with a Gray Marine forward hatch. I don't think that O'Day used Beckson but I could be wrong.
What I would do is remove one of the port lights and seal the opening with something just temporarily. Take the port light with you to some stores and try to match it up with something made of Aluminum.

Years ago I removed my forward hatch in the fall and covered it with a piece of plywood. I covered the plywood with a small polytarp and covered the boat with my large polytarp. Then I took the hatch to a marine consignment shop in Newport RI. In the end though, I wound up buying a used Gray Marine hatch off Rudy and I rebuilt my old hatch. I recently replaced the lens in that hatch just last summer with the boat at the dock. If you can go with Aluminum, go for it.

Good Luck!
Joe

wayneR

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 34 Cambridge MD
I replaced all the Beckson opening ports on my ODay 34 with New Found Metals Stainless Ports. Since then they have changed the design to an even better one. Quite a job but a real upgrade to the boat. Priced other metal ports and NFM was half the price but twice as expensive as Beckson. My other hatches are by Bomar.

Status
Not open for further replies.