O’Day 40- instrument Mounting in Bulkhead-

Aug 7, 2015
Oday 34 previous, O’Day 40 current Annapolis
Has anyone mounted an instrument here? Seems like there is an inner liner & a space between the outerView attachment 191516bulkhead here & I’m wondering if there is enough room between the two to mount a Raymarine i70 here w/o drilling thru both?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Hi @LouisMK,

Did you upgrade to an O’Day 40 (your signature shows O’Day 34)?

I have an O’Day 322 built in 1988. I don’t know for sure about an O40, but if the interior side of the bulkhead is nice smooth gel coat, I would assume it has a liner. I know my O’Day 322 does. I had to drill large holes in the liner recently to replace some above-the-water line thru-hulls. None were in the area you want to install your instrument, I did not have much space between the outer hull and the liner. I also had the opportunity look in between the liner and top deck, and there is very little space there either.

Not sure if the construction between your boat and mine is the similar, but I bet if you have a liner, it is pretty close to the outer skin.

A lot of people mount gauges on those bulkheads, but I think most have to cover them on the inside.

Good luck,

Greg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Most production boats will have a thick plywood structure between a sandwich of gel coated fiberglass on the exterior and a vinyl or polyester liner on the interior. Think of how fiberglass boats are made and it will make sense, There are two moldings.., the hull and the deck/house.. which includes the horizontal areas that are walked on and the sides and roof of the cabin.
But... no matter... it will become abundantly clear when you cut that first hole. heh, heh. btw you might consider alternatives to mounting instruments in the bulkhead.. since they seem to be a popular for guests and crew to use as a back rest. Good luck.

Aug 21, 2020
Oday 40 Dalhousie Yacht Club
Here is the setup on my 40. Would this work for you as an alternative to bulkhead mounting. Although I dont know which if any of mine work for another few months. If not, I've thought of trying to fit something digital in their place. I like them close to the helm, that bulkhead is a long way away in the 40

Attachments

Aug 21, 2020
Oday 40 Dalhousie Yacht Club
Louis, I had worked on the engine and fuel gauge panel located at the foot of the bulkhead/companion way. There is an access panel to the panel back from in the aft berth. I recall a good few inches between the two panels. You might be able to get a good idea of fit. (assuming it is similar construction at the location of your proposed installation)

Aug 7, 2015
Oday 34 previous, O’Day 40 current Annapolis
Hello all- will answer this question for the next person who comes along. There is insufficient room to snake a cable between the outer & inner skins; maybe a 3/8" space, at best. I wound up drilling two holes- a larger hole in the outer skin for the instrument and a 3/4" dia. hole for the cable on the inner skin. Doesn't look too terrible, but not the clean, no-holes look i was hoping for