O'day 40 Holding Tank questions (ha ha)

Aug 7, 2015
Oday 34 previous, O’Day 40 current Annapolis
OEM for the O'Day 40 is a miserly 15 gal tank, guess they weren't planning for anyone to go very far or for very long. Has anybody replaced their original with something larger? If so, would love to know whose tank & the capacity which they were able to cram in there. I'm hoping to replace my manual flush head with an electric, fresh water model. thanks ya'll!

Lou

Mar 24, 2012
O'Day 40 BC Coast
I ripped mine out, along with about 50 yards of stinky hose, and put in a C-Head 7 years ago.
No more stink, no more sewage issues.:)

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Where is the tank located in the boat, Lou? And where is the head located--forward or aft in the cabin...how far from the tank?

--Peggie

Aug 7, 2015
Oday 34 previous, O’Day 40 current Annapolis
Thank you for a reply Peggy, I’ve got your book! The tank is located under the v-berth- it’s a flared space and the current tank is 29.5 L x 8.5 w x 11.5 d. I can go a couple of inches longer or a couple of inches wider but not much. I was measuring tonight and am having difficulty finding anything much larger than 20 gal; would like to get as close as to 22-25 as possible. Started to consider looking into a custom but I suspect they are quite expensive.

Distance between the head and the tank is no more than 5 or 6’
-Lou

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The v-berth is my favorite location for a holding tank on a sailboat, the distance from the toilet is fine and there's an excellent chance that Ronco Plastics will have what you want. They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. There are retailers who sell Ronco tanks, but Ronco sells direct for a much lower price...and they're great to work with. Their current catalog is here Ronco Plastics marine Tanks So many people told 'em their previous catalog is much easier to search that it's still available too Ronco Plastics old marine catalog

A word about their tank drawings....there is no top or bottom until the fittings go in, and you'll decide where they go. So rotate the drawings, flip 'em end for end...I'll bet $1 that you can find a good fit in the size you want.

A Plan B if your budget can stand the price: There's only one small NDZ on the whole Chesapeake Bay--Herring Bay...the discharge of TREATED waste from a USCG certified Type I MSD is legal everywhere else on the Bay, even Annapolis harbor. Check out the Raritan PuraSan Raritan PuraSan Promo Sheet It wouldn't replace a tank, it would be in addition to a tank that could even be smaller than your existing tank. I suspect you'll have a bunch of questions about it, so If you'd like to discuss in more detail than is practical in a forum thread, send me a PM.

--Peggie

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I suggest that you consider a Vacuflush head, so that you will minimize the amount of water that you add to the effluent. I believe that I have a 15 gallon holding tank (could be 12), with which I can easily go 7 person/days before needing a pumpout.