O'Day 39 and 40 Replacement manual bilge pump

Mar 24, 2012
O'Day 40 BC Coast
After nearly 2 years I found a direct replacement for my cockpit mounted manual bilge pump. From what I can see from looking at other 39's and 40's on line we all have the "Kempax" K1 Manual Diaphragm Pump installed in a position readily accessed from the helm.
The valves on mine had lost their flexibility and I couldn't find any to match and the exposed cover was brittle and ugly. :cry:
To make a long story short, I just bought a Johnson 70-50005 Viking pump. :)
The only differences are longer inlet/outlet tubes for better clamping and a change to black plastic from white.
I found it at PumpVendor.com (not related, no benefit to me etc) after seeing a catalogue shot that looked similar. An email to SPX Sweden resulted in an email from the Customer Service Manager in Illinois that gave me the new model number of the old Kempax. The Canadian distributor had no stock and I didn't want to wait 10-12 weeks so I found 1 at Pump Vendor.

Mar 24, 2012
O'Day 40 BC Coast
Missed that but I would have been reluctant to assume the same pump on a 40 without the original model number. It would have shortened my search by a few months.