Oday 37 cc water tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I want to replace the clear plastic water hoses that go from the water tanks to the pressure pump. I can't figure out where the hoses are attached to the tanks. The tanks are located on each side of the engine and behind solid wood walls. The tops of the polyethylene tanks can be accessed by removing plywood panels in the cockpit lockers. I don't think that it is possible to remove the tanks without major cutting. I ASSUME that the water exits the tanks at the bottom of the tank and on the forward side. This area seems to have no reasonable access. My last resort is to cut the hoses where I can get to them and spice in new hose. The old hose is extremely dirty and sticky.

Has anyone tackled this job?

Dec 14, 2009
Oday 37CC Norfolk, VA
I know what you mean about the access - I've replaced the rest of our water lines w/ PEX but the two lines from the pump to the tanks remain. I'm working on a repower at the moment but the water lines are high on the list b/c, as you say, they're "dirty and sticky".

You still running on original engine?

Apr 22, 2011
I know what you mean about the access - I've replaced the rest of our water lines w/ PEX but the two lines from the pump to the tanks remain. I'm working on a repower at the moment but the water lines are high on the list b/c, as you say, they're "dirty and sticky".

You still running on original engine?
Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think that there were no other O'day 37 owners out there.

This morning I was looking for a place to install my Xantrex 20 amp charger, a replacement for a Flyback charger that per this forum, has been known to catch fire and ruin batteries. Anyway, as I was looking under the sink area, I noticed a Beckson type port on the back bulkhead. I suspect that it is a way to get to the port side water tank outflow connection. A bladder tank is installed against the Beckson port, so I have to remove it to see what is in there. If that pans out, I'll have more confidence to try and find the starboard tank outlet.

The PO replaced the original Universal with a Yanmar 30GM in the mid 90s. It seems to be a nice fit and is plenty of power in moderate seas.

Pat

Dec 14, 2009
Oday 37CC Norfolk, VA
Likewise, its nice to know there a few of us left - check w/ Hergé as well, he has a 37 he's done a lot with as well as RAD who has a 32CC. I know the beckson port you are speaking of as we have the same - I believe our hose to the port tank goes behind the refer and through a small hole drilled in the bulkhead a foot or two to port of the beckson. I will try to take a look/pic this weekend.

As for the xantrex, I just installed a 40 a couple months ago - a 3x125Ah house bank and a SV 1100 for starting - great charger, the fan does kick on under load sometimes in the slip, but its quite enough and i've never seen then charger measure more than 99F even on a 90+ day here in norfolk, va.

Thanks for the info on the yanmar. We've got an original westerbeke 30 (four-11) and looking at a Beta 38 to replace in the next few weeks.

Good luck and keep in touch - any other major projects you've done/working on? We bought our 37 2 yrs ago as a neglected but sound boat, lots of cleaning and these types of projects.

Apr 22, 2011
I replaced the air vents for both holding tanks. The forward tank, under the port setee, was a real stinker. The primary cause of the smell was that the original clear plastic air vent hose drooped lower than the level of the tank as it went aft and eventually up to a cockpit locker vent thru hull. It was really gross. I took the hose out and replaced it with a 1" rigid thinwall pvc pipe that leads forward and up through the forward head and out a 1 1/4" thruhull. The original, or at least very old, 1 1/2" Trident potty hoses are still in good shape.

Also, in the interest of getting rid of potty smells, I teed the forward sink drain hose to the toilet salt water intake hose. A very easy job. Now I can flush with either salt of fresh water. If the boat is not going to be used for a few days, I will leave the salt water intake thru hull open, let a little fresh water flow into the sink and and flush the salt water out of the hose and through the thru hull. Then close the thru hull valve, add more fresh water to the sink, and pump the toilet until fresh water has entered the holding tank.

I'm in need of a FUN project after messing with the toilet. Pat

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 37 Fernandina Beach FL
Enjoyed the discussion about the water tanks. I also have been wondering how to replace the hoses. I replaced the engine with a Universal M40BC in '01, and installed a Freedom 10 battery charger in '97 in the engine room on the port side. No problems with either.

Apr 22, 2011
My new Xantrex 20 amp battery charger came in the mail today. The old charger is located in the compartment under the sinks along with four T-105s, frig compressor, and water bladder. Xantrex doesn't want me to put it near the wet cell batteries because of possible corrosion from the battery fumes. I like your idea of putting it in the engine room, and there is space above the starting battery or above the water heater. This would mean longer runs for the DC and AC wires but it's fairly low amp flow, so shouldn't be a problem. I did discover that you can access the port side engine room wall through the cockpit locker. There is a plywood piece that can be removed. Pat

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
I'm enjoying your discussion. I took my first charter sail lesson on an O'day 37 at Annapolis sailing school. I'll never forget the boat. Hope to hitch a ride some day should we meet.
Heritage: That's a great idea. Having a fresh water option is often discouraged since a malfunctioning pump /Check valve could put sewage in the fresh water. Your solution is great. I've been considering replacing my heads so I can use fresh water but expecting to be in the Great lakes a few years prior to heading to the salt I though it had little value. Your Idea is the way to go for me.
The more I think of it, why would you want another through hull it you can combine these into one. Am I missing something?

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
I replaced the air vents for both holding tanks. The forward tank, under the port setee, was a real stinker. The primary cause of the smell was that the original clear plastic air vent hose drooped lower than the level of the tank as it went aft and eventually up to a cockpit locker vent thru hull. It was really gross. I took the hose out and replaced it with a 1" rigid thinwall pvc pipe that leads forward and up through the forward head and out a 1 1/4" thruhull. The original, or at least very old, 1 1/2" Trident potty hoses are still in good shape.

Also, in the interest of getting rid of potty smells, I teed the forward sink drain hose to the toilet salt water intake hose. A very easy job. Now I can flush with either salt of fresh water. If the boat is not going to be used for a few days, I will leave the salt water intake thru hull open, let a little fresh water flow into the sink and and flush the salt water out of the hose and through the thru hull. Then close the thru hull valve, add more fresh water to the sink, and pump the toilet until fresh water has entered the holding tank.

I'm in need of a FUN project after messing with the toilet. Pat

I just completed some research. The sink and head can not share any plumbing not even vents if I understand Peggy Hall correctly. Your idea is not USCG approved but that does not mean it's not a great idea. I think I'll still re-plumb mine. I'm love being a rebel.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You're mistaken...

The sink and head can not share any plumbing not even vents if I understand Peggy Hall correctly.

Nope...you didn't understand me correctly. It's the toilet DISCHARGE that cannot share any fresh or gray water plumbing...there is no problem whatever in connecting the head INTAKE to the head sink drain line. In fact, some sailboat builders even plumb their boats that way, to eliminate one hole in the boat and also to save 'em the cost of a thru-hull and seacock.

So I'm afraid you'll have to come up with another way to be rebellious.:D

When y'all find you have a little time on your hands, you might want to spend a little time reading some of the discussions in the Head Mistress forum...as with all forums, a lot of good information and some that isn't. But I'm always available to help sort out which is which. :dance:

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
my apologies for misquoting you.
I pick it up from the Cruiser forums.

I now see the difference.
Combining gray and black water in the same tank violates USCG regs...it's illegal even for the two systems to share ANY common plumbing, including vents. So that option is out.

However, it IS legal to send gray water directly overboard and I strongly recommend you continue to do so, 'cuz managing a gray water tank (dealing with sludge and preventing odor) is a LOT more difficult than managing a black water tank. A sump is the closest thing to a gray water tank you'd want.

How many black water tanks you'd need depends on how far apart the toilets are...best that the tank be not much more than about 6' from a toilet 'cuz 6' is about as far as bowl contents can move in the amount of time anyone will spend pumping a toilet or leave their finger on a flush button. That's not cast in concrete...there can often be work arounds in the plumbing that provide an assist from gravity to get the flush all the way to the tank.

Apr 22, 2011
Panta Rei, our oday 37, Heritage, was part of the Annapolis Sailing School fleet during the 80's and 90's. Not sure if it was the only large Oday or if they had several. Pat

Jun 10, 2004
Oday 37 World's Fair Marina, Flushing, Queens, NYC
Just want to log in as another O'Day 37 CC, 1982, Yeraz 2, Flushing Bay NY. Bought her in Annapolis. She was not part of a fleet there. She is for sale (Sniff!)

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
Panta Rei, our oday 37, Heritage, was part of the Annapolis Sailing School fleet during the 80's and 90's. Not sure if it was the only large Oday or if they had several. Pat
I do remember looking over there fleet and I don't believe they had another.

It is more than likely yours. In that case case you can blame me for the nick in the foredeck. I flunked anchor stowage and retrieval.

It was an intro to charter class. Our instructor also taught the students in the naval academy (their racing fleet). He was the closest thing to a drill Sargent I have ever encountered. We has us stand at attention at the rail with fenders ready during the docking lessons. I'm sure your boat never touched a pier while it was under his watch.
Two day class, second day,(Sunday) we sailed from city dock against traffic with the drill Sargent barking out questions most often pointing out two boats and asking which had the right of way. The weekend fleet returning to city dock was a huge armada my guess in the thousands.(or it sure seems that way) and he had us crossing every boat we could reach. His hand on the air horn blasting other boats failing to yield to us.

Régis

Mar 3, 2008
Oday 37 Peribonka
Hi, I'd love to talk with you about our O'Day 37, but my English is too bad. I never had to do changes (modification) on my water thanks. I think there is access to the tank by the two safes in the cockpit. The background of two safes rise up. Note I have never been inspected these compartments. P/S My engine is new 2005. Yanmar 3 GM30 with heat exchanger. A big + My O'Day also is part of Sailing School fleet of Annapolis. I do my best and I hope you will forgive me my errors of word. Régis (Hergé)

Sep 14, 2011
Oday 37 Tawas MI
O'Day 37cc water tanks

I did replace the hoses on my water tanks a few years ago. I got to the fitting on the forward bottom end of the tanks by going under the counter in the main cabin. On the starboard side I had to move the compressor for the refrigator to get access thru the beckson porthole. The Port side I had the batteries out so it helped to get all the way to the side and the porthole there.It was not a fun job but it can be done. Al Spencer (Risingstar)

Apr 22, 2011
Hi, I'd love to talk with you about our O'Day 37, but my English is too bad. I never had to do changes (modification) on my water thanks. I think there is access to the tank by the two safes in the cockpit. The background of two safes rise up. Note I have never been inspected these compartments. P/S My engine is new 2005. Yanmar 3 GM30 with heat exchanger. A big + My O'Day also is part of Sailing School fleet of Annapolis. I do my best and I hope you will forgive me my errors of word. Régis (Hergé)
Herge, I wouldn't call your English bad, although I did stumble on "safes in the cockpit", and "the background that rises up". Most of us would say, "floorboards of the cockpit lockers". But I would rather read your writing than texting speak.

I did pull up the cockpit locker floors to get to the water tanks. I hoped to find access ports so I could clean them. But, no. There was an original label on the top of one of the polyethylene tanks,,, built by Todd, 1982, 70 gallons. Each tank has two deep recessions in the mold that serve as baffles and keeps the tank more rigid.

One of these days I might install access ports, but for now I'm thinking of heavy chlorination and getting a good quality filter for drinking water. I hate the thought of relying on bottled water. pat

Status
Not open for further replies.