O'day 35 damaged - looking for parts, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello,

I thought my boat made it through Sandy without damage, but I was wrong. I got on the boat Wednesday and saw that some boat with a blue hull must have broken loose during the storm and hit me.

The starboard side has some damage, bent stanchions, snapped lifeline, etc. The worst damage is to the rub rail. About a 10' section, starting at the transom, has been pretty badly damaged. The black rubber rub rail itself appears to be fine, but the plastic channel that the black rubber attaches too is cracked, splintered, and / or just plain gone.

I have contacted my insurance co, and they will send an adjuster by, but in the meantime I am looking for the name of that part and some suggested sources.

I'll post pictures when I get internet service back. I am working from the local library which has power and wifi.

Thanks,
Barry

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Rub rail holder LARGE Available from D&R. If you have corner damage go see "And so it begins" thread for tips and techniques on how to get nice neat bends at the corners. Watch for the stiff insert. It gets very stiff with age and will break the holder as you try to remove it so excercise caution.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Barry,
I bought a section from D&R several years ago. It comes rolled up about 20 feet long or so. Not sure about stanchions but D&R is your best bet. Otherwise you can mix and match them with generics but I'm sure you'd prefer original. Best wishes on the repairs.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
The former plant manager for O'Day has a shop in RI where he makes and sells parts for O'Days. His name is Rudy but I don't know the name of his place.

jmseas

Apr 18, 2011
Oday 34 Long Beach, California
Barry,

Here's the contact info for Rudy at D&R Marine:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]D & R Marine[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]14 Water St
Assonet, Ma
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ph 508 644-3001 [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fx 508 644-3002[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]www.drmarine.com
[/FONT]
This is the best place to start.

Glad to hear your damage is minor!

John Mc..

Jun 10, 2004
Oday 37 World's Fair Marina, Flushing, Queens, NYC
I replaced the rub rail on our OD 37 with a new one from Rudy. Looked great. The old one shattered against a piling. They do get brittle with age.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info on D+R.

Here's an update on my boat: I sent pictures of the damage to my insurance company (Allstate). They asked me to get a repair estimate. I used a local guy who has done for me in the past. He gave me a nice estimate to repair all damage - life lines, rub rail, stanchions (and braces too), repair transom, etc. and I sent the estimate to Allstate. Allstate approved the estimate and is sending me a check. So now I will order the O'day specific parts from D+R and then I'll wait for the boat to get repaired.

Thanks,
Barry

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
Barry, glad you came through with relatively minor (read- fixable) damage. This sounds like an opportunity to get to know your boat a little bit better. Without seeing pictures, it sounds like you'll just need to replace broken parts with new parts. Doing it yourself gives great piece of mind. Just knowing how to access things and how they go together is a great bit of knowledge should you ever need to fix something while out at sea. Then you can put some of that labor $$ toward pimping up the boat. Of course, labor = time and not everyone has enough of that.

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
I also had damage to my rub rail. I have been searching on the Taco website and Defender. They have the base that looks close to the same but it is not the same size. It seems like its better to replace the entire rail then just a section. A tip someone gave me was to put the roll in a large barrel of hot water before installation to make the turns easier.

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Replacing the rub rail plastic from D&R's supply and lifelines are relatively painless. You can cut the lifeline wire with some in expensive Harbor Freight cutters or you local West Marine. Still haven't figured out to get the the stanchion mounting bolts without breaking my wrist in two places or cutting out the interior fiberglass that's covering them.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
hi Guys,

Another update:
I replaced 3 stanchion bases, 3 stanchions, 2 braces, and all the lifelines.
When the weather gets warm I'll replace the rubrail and holder all around the boat.
Some cosmetic repairs to the transom and the boat will be better than before!

Barry

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
I removed the rubrail last week. I'm expecting to boar out the screw holes and fill with epoxy then redrill for the new rub rail. Sailing Cal are you expecting to do the same or do you have an alternative? D & R shows the exact rub rail on their web site.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I spliced a small section that was damaged quite easily. You don't need to replace the entire rub rail, unless of course you want to. I did about a two foot section and used the existing screw holes. Just use the old piece to locate the holes in the new piece.
If you replace the whole rub rail save the old one or at least some sections of it in case you need to do small future repairs. It doesn't take much of a hit into a piling to crack the plastic material.

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
I did the same and just replaced the broken sections. The black rubber part can be just pushed back into the plastic after the section is replaced. The material is pretty easy to work with.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Vhf, Ais

Hi,

I don't know. I turned a wrench on the outside. My helper was able to find the nuts on the underside of the deck. We only replaced 3 bases, the starboard three rear. He didn't seem to have any problem locating the nuts.

Barry

Good to hear. One question, how'd you get to the stanchion base nuts on the inside?

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
Hi,

I don't know. I turned a wrench on the outside. My helper was able to find the nuts on the underside of the deck. We only replaced 3 bases, the starboard three rear. He didn't seem to have any problem locating the nuts.

Barry
But if you use Butyl to bed the stanchion bases, you are only supposed to turn the bolts from the INSIDE. see this link http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware- step 7

Faced with this dilemma when I had to replace a stanchion base 2 years ago, I bit the bullet, and cut the headliner. The headliner has a molded-in "U" that seems to be a cable chase. I sliced from the bottom of the "U" to the edge, so that you can't even see where I did the slicin'.

I am considering slicing the headliner at ALL of the stanchion bases, so that I can re-bed them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.