Oday 34 Sliding companion way hatch removal

Aug 1, 2021
oday 34 Cleveland
Hello
I live in Ohio I have an Oday 34 Tall rig
The wooden rails on the sliding hatch have broken in spots and I want to replace them
But I can’t seem to remove the fixed hatch that fits over the sliding hatch I have removed the screws and Found some caulk under the hatch cover So how to remove it
I have tried to work putty knife on edge but it is cracking the hatch edge and I also won’t be able to reach all of it anyway
Has anyone removed this hatch cover and if so how
Thank you
Scott

Attachments

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Heat gun almost always works. Do not singe the surface, but get it "hot to the touch". Softens up sealant nicely.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Use an oscillating tool with a scraper blade to separate the caulk from the glass. Much safer than heat.

Gentle persuasion sometimes works. Wedges, a sharp stiff putty knife, and time. Gradually open the joint, cut the caulk, wedge some more. Time and patience.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I think you are on the right track Scott. Heat and maybe the oscillating tool are good options to help get the cover off.

i pulled mine on my O’Day 322…a little different securement it looks like…mine had a teak strip that was screwed down and held the over in place. So I had to remove that board instead of just the screws you removed.

But then, it was a matter of carefully pulling it up. I pried on mine and cracked the glass, so you are wise to be gentle and as others have said…patience is key.

IMG_0036.JPG IMG_0037 1.JPG

I hate varnishing teak, so I replaced the teak rails with white fake wood…

The string is there because I hadn’t screwed the cover down yet, and we were expecting storms that night…I didn’t want to get to the boat the next day and find my sliding hatch and the cover at the bottom of the lake :huh:

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I’m not able to use a putty knife in all areas
When all the other sections are separated the few places you can't get a putty knife into can be gently pried up with a too that can reach in there. Be creative. Be careful with the heat. It will take a lot of heat to warm the fiberglass enough to soften the caulk. Heat would be my last choice.

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
Scrape all the caulk off the top side of the storm hood first - it's possible there are screws securing just the hood, separate from the screws that go through the teak.

Aug 1, 2021
oday 34 Cleveland
Hi Tally Ho
Thank you for the reply and photos
I will keep you all posted as to how it goes
I’m also re doing a Carl Alberg SeaSprite 23
Painting deck hull bottom new rub rail new running rigging all wood varnished outside teak oil inside should look like new when done
Scott

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Hi Tally Ho
Thank you for the reply and photos
I will keep you all posted as to how it goes
I’m also re doing a Carl Alberg SeaSprite 23
Painting deck hull bottom new rub rail new running rigging all wood varnished outside teak oil inside should look like new when done
Scott
You are a gluten for punishment Scott!

i hope you find some time to sail…but I guess you have the long, cold winter (like me) to get projects done!

Good luck, and yes, keep us posted (with lots of photos ).

Greg

Aug 1, 2021
oday 34 Cleveland
Hi Guys
I was able to remove the companion way hood yesterday took about a hour and a half and 3 beers . I used a heat gun a sharpened putty knife a hammer and a 12 inch slide rule from a combo square
I heated it up and slowly pried it all free
When it was removed I noticed how nice the wood rails were under the hood so instead of making new rails and can just flip them around

Attachments

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
"When it was removed I noticed how nice the wood rails were under the hood so instead of making new rails and can just flip them around "
Oh darn, you just gave me another project to do :). Actually, thanks for sharing.