ODay 34 Reefing Lines

Dec 2, 2008
O'Day 34 16 Lake Murray, SC
I have a 1981 O'Day 34 and am looking at replacing my reefing lines for my main and was wondering if anyone had the size and length.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I am currently in the middle of that project as well. It depends on what type of reefing system you have and whether the lines are brough back to the cockpit or not. The fancy system looks like this inside the boom:
1605565030512.png

1605565030512.png

I don't have the 2:1 system shown above so calculating the line length is pretty straightforward: the boom is 12 feet long, I'm allowing 6 feet to go from the aft end of the boom to the first reefing point and back, 12' to go fro the boom to the second reefing point and back. 3' from the boom to the deck and 15' to go from the mast base back to the rope clutches in the cockpit and then add in some extra - I will trim the line to the optimal length once everything is installed and tried out. I will probably also run the reefing lines to the forward reefing reefing points using some cheek blocks on the outside of the boom so you would need to add another 12' for the boom and 6/12' to get to the forward reefing point. I am thinking 3/8" diameter line.

Dec 2, 2008
O'Day 34 16 Lake Murray, SC
I am currently in the middle of that project as well. It depends on what type of reefing system you have and whether the lines are brough back to the cockpit or not. The fancy system looks like this inside the boom:
View attachment 187305

View attachment 187305

I don't have the 2:1 system shown above so calculating the line length is pretty straightforward: the boom is 12 feet long, I'm allowing 6 feet to go from the aft end of the boom to the first reefing point and back, 12' to go fro the boom to the second reefing point and back. 3' from the boom to the deck and 15' to go from the mast base back to the rope clutches in the cockpit and then add in some extra - I will trim the line to the optimal length once everything is installed and tried out. I will probably also run the reefing lines to the forward reefing reefing points using some cheek blocks on the outside of the boom so you would need to add another 12' for the boom and 6/12' to get to the forward reefing point. I am thinking 3/8" diameter line.
Thanks for the reply, but I have a Kenyon boom and mast.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Sorry, I thought they were all Isomats - it's probably pretty similar but hopefully someone with the same rig will chime in.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
Will your lines be brought back to the cockpit? Mine terminated @ the mast/boom connection so the measuring was straight forward.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
use a chaser line and remove the original. Measure original, cut new to length and replace using chaser. My lines are all nasty with mildew and green stuff, so I am using this method to remove them, soak in dawn, rinse by hand and impregnate with Starbrite Water Proofing. My attempt at making them last a little longer.