Oday 34/35 shower sump

Sep 20, 2005
Oday 35 Westport, MA
Anyone have experience with accessing the shower sump pump on an Oday 34 or 35? Mine has been clogged and nonfunctional for quite a while, and I’d like to remove and clean or replace it. Currently all water accumulating in the head drains into the bilge, which I would like to reroute out of the boat.
thanks all!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
My guess is the shower sump pump with collection box is located in or adjacent to the bilge since it overflows into the bilge. Look for a thru hull drain and valve for that sump.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
Anyone have experience with accessing the shower sump pump on an Oday 34 or 35? Mine has been clogged and nonfunctional for quite a while, and I’d like to remove and clean or replace it. Currently all water accumulating in the head drains into the bilge, which I would like to reroute out of the boat.
thanks all!
Are you sure a shower pump exists? There is not much room to "hide" one. On my 34, there was a grate in the head floor with some bonding wires that looked like a floor drain but no depth for a pump, it was very shallow and conformed to the hull shape. There were "extra" wires in the front part of the bilge access below the mast ( the small floor panel that curves around the mast) perhaps that's were the shower sump was/is? The few times we used it, we let it flow into the bilge and then pumped it overboard. If I remember there was a dc switch labelled shower sump or something along those lines but it went nowhere as there was no pump. Perhaps someone else that still has a 34/35 can help with photos of the location of the shower pump.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Can’t help with the 35, but on the Oday 28 there was a hose that ran from the sump to under the starboard setee. Under there was an in-line filter and then the pump. The pump discharged overboard next to the sink drain. Maybe that will give you some ideas on where to look.

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
I have an '81 O'Day 34. There's no evidence that she's ever had a shower sump. The drain is very close to the hull and not accessable from the underside. Simply drains into the bilge along with the two iceboxes.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
I looked up a photo of my O'Day 34 fuse panel. There is one labelled shower sump third down on the right. I also remember there being a second set of wires in the front bilge unused. My bilge was separated in 2 areas and joined only by a hole towards the bottom that allowed water to flow from the forward section (directly under the mast step) to the rear where the main pump was connected and operating. You could install a second pump in the front section and use the second set of wires to operate it if you feel the need to. That would require running a second discharge pipe, that will not be easy but is certainly possible. I recall I did have an intermittent problem with the bilge pump vapor locking necessitating clear the line by removing the discharge side and blowing air through. I tried several fixes including a larger volume pump, smooth bore hose, with and without a joker valve and rerouting the discharge hose to assure upward path to discharge with no low point. It would still occasionally happen and frustrated me.
IMG_1900.JPG

Last edited:
May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
@daviddp I have the same two compartments with a limber hole between them. Guess that could be reconfigured as a shower sump. But then you'd still have the issue of the iceboxes draining into the bilge, however providing a sump for them would be an easier mod as I've already got hoses connecting those drains to the bilge.

Funny, your "Shower Sump" switch is where my "Autopilot" switch is located. Karma has a separate dedicated bilge pump panel with Manual-Off-Auto as well as indicators.

@mister_j can you send a pic of the shower sump that you reference in the OP? I'd be interested in its location.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
On my O332, there is a shower drain, attached to a hose and a pump under the sink. Pumps the shower floor overboard. There is a breaker for it, and a pull switch in the head to turn it on and off.

No real sump...just the drain, hose and a pump.

Greg

Aug 7, 2013
O'day 39' 25th Anniversary Mystic, CT
We have an O’Day 39, with 2 heads, 1fore and 1 aft, each with showers. In the forward head, there is a wooden grate over a shallow catch basin with a hose plumbed through a cutout in this fiberglass basin/pan. This hose, which I believe to be 5/8” had a something on the end to collect the water and strain out hair & debris. This hose then went to under the main salon settee on the port side to another inline strainer just before entering a Flojet shower sump pump. Exiting the pump, the hose went above & across the bilge and connected to the other shower sump pump hose from the aft head and on to a thru hull high up on the starboard side of the hull to discharge. I am in the midst of winterizing this week so I will post photos that may help explain what I have tried to describe

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
thanks all!
I have an O'day 35 and it HAS a shower sump pump. The drain in the head compartment has 1" bilge hose which runs under the "L" on the starboard settee (next to the mast). The hose is connected here to a strainer and then to a diaphragm discharge pump, and the discharge hose runs back under the head to a through hull next to the head sink discharge. None of the plumbing conforms to current ABYC. There is a pull switch in the head compartment that activates this pump.

Last edited: