O'Day 34/35 questions

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Good Day,
I just purchased an 87 O'Day 35 in excellent overall shape but of course, it needs a few things. If I may, I'd like to ask a few questions (I searched the archives but couldn't find answers to these):
* Someone put on a 44" wheel, while great for steering leverage it makes getting around the cockpit difficult. What size was the original wheel? Do you like the original size?
* There are a few gelcoat chips to touch-up (the gelcoat is in amazing shape, very impressive) - does anyone have a source for gelcoat that matches O'Days from that era?
* I desperately need to bring the main halyard back to the cockpit as raising the main at the mast is not for the faint hearted unless in flat water - I will also be leading the reefing and out-haul lines aft but the halyard is my first priority. I read Ed Ryan's article in the modifications section - it's pretty straightforward. My question is: for anyone that has done this or has a boat with it already done, how are the rope clutches attached to the deck? The removable panel in the headliner allows access to the underside of the deck for the deck organizers but where the rope clutches go, there's no access. The cabin-top winch has bolts that protrude through the hull liner but if I do this for the rope clutches, the bolts will be above the galley floor and will be a real threat to people's heads (I have just enough headroom as it is).
Thanks.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I desperately need to bring the main halyard back to the cockpit as raising the main at the mast is not for the faint hearted unless in flat water
I am guessing this maybe a new experience on a big boat? I have my rig set to do the sail handling (raise, lower, reef) all at the mast. It is a simpler setup. In good weather I go up without a JackLine/tether. In foul weather or when solo the JackLine/tether is just an automatic piece of standard equipment. An advantage to the mast rig lines is there is less friction on the lines and fewer places to experience a line jam. It is impossible to be trying to get the sail down and secured when the line jams in the clutch in the cockpit.

When rigged correctly you can accomplish all the tasks at one position at the mast.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
It's not the biggest boat I've owned - I sail with a lot of non-sailors and I had one attempt to raise the main in 1 - 3 foot swells and decided it was not safe for non-experienced crew. The non-self-tailing winch requires two hands to operate - no hand left for the boat. I'm used to lines led aft to the cockpit and like it.

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
dmax,
Welcome to the Oday 35. They are great boats. I have owned mine for about 11 years now and it has never let me down. Regarding your questions:
Wheel; I'd have to measure mine but I would imagine it is original. It does look somewhat undersized but it has been sufficient for turning the boat even in a blow. If the wind is so strong that I'm struggling with the wheel, it usually means I have too much sail up. Even with the smaller wheel, it is somewhat of a pain to move around the wheel. Regardless of the size, you could always take it off and mount it on a life line stanchion when at anchor. Larger wheel has not been a priority for me.
Gel coat repair; Rudy at D & R Marine is the best source for everything O'day.
Main Halyard to cockpit; This also has not been a priority for me. Even when I have inexperienced crew aboard, I'm usually able to put them on the wheel while I go up to the mast. When I single hand, I use the auto helm to steer the boat while I go up. Lazy Jacks help a lot as well. A previous owner installed a winch next to the companionway on the starboard side. He installed a finished wooden disk to cover the backing plate and bolts. If I recall correctly there is about 3/4 inch of space between the headliner and the underside of the deck there.

Hope this helps. Best wishes on the new boat. I'm sure you will have many years of enjoyment with it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The non-self-tailing winch requires two hands to operate - no hand left for the boat.
Spot on. In 2016 I had the mast down and refitted. Among the changes two Barient ST 17 winches on the mast for main and jib halyards. I consider them a safety issue.

I mentioned the JackLines. I run my line down the center of the boat. I position tethers at the cockpit, and the mast. When I go forward to work my tether keeps me inside the lifelines. Because the JackLine is drawn tight I can use it as a brace to lean against for brief moments when I have two hands working as in hauling up the main.
Separately there is the ability to assess the boat and that all is secure while moving back and forth.
The great thing about boating is we can approach the boat and process as best fits our style. We can share ideas. And choose or reject ideas as fits our style. And all are good. Safe boating

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Thanks guys - that's what makes forums like this so valuable, we get to benefit from other people's experiences and knowledge and make decisions that work best for us.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
For context, I teach sailing (ASA 101, 103, 104, 105, 106, 114, & 118) and have done so for 5 years. I have no desire to move my halyards to the cockpit, and have learned to dislike rope clutches. Feel free to do to your boat whatever you wish.

I believe that the O'day 34/35 had a 32" wheel when they left the factory. I do not recommend those folding wheels.

Jamestown Distributors sells "colored air dry gelcoat" in "Cream" color ($37/qt) which needs a little brown tint to match my O'day 35.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Our three rope clutches are bolted thru the cabin top...O'Day provided a plastic cover that is attached above the galley which provides access to tighten the bolts holding the clutches in place from below..as well as makes it look good from below....Pat

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Thanks Pat - my boat does have a small removable panel above the galley which I thought provides access to the traveler track bolts - maybe that will work. Otherwise, I will cut the hull liner and make up some kind of cover. I haven't had a chance to start on that project yet, trying to get prepared as I'll be doing it while cruising (it's sailing season after all).