O'Day 322 drone footage

Aug 12, 2016
O'Day 322 Seattle, WA
When I was looking for a boat and finally settled on the O'Day 322, I searched the internet for photos and videos of the boat. Aside from a few brokerage listing photos and Tally Ho's website (thanks TH!), I didn't find much. Last weekend, I went sailing with friends with a drone and got some great footage. For prospective 322 owners, I present:
Enjoy. Cheers to friends with drones!

- Andy Imagine

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice job. Looks like you were sailing in sound north of Seattle. Lot of skill to lift off from a sailing boat and recover.
Cool.

Aug 12, 2016
O'Day 322 Seattle, WA
Ha, the landings were in the outtakes - not near as graceful. But as they say in flying, any landing you walk away from is a good landing - or in this case any landing with recovery. This was filmed with the DJI Phantom 3 Pro.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Landed while under sail? Eek. I won't do it, too tricky with fluky winds around the boat and standing rigging everywhere. Hard enough to retrieve stationary with gusty winds. I have done it from my boat under power where I can stop the boat to retrieve.

I take it you haven't crashed yet? Crashing a drone is like running aground with a sailboat. Not a matter of if, but when!

Aug 12, 2016
O'Day 322 Seattle, WA
Landed while under sail?
Yup, it was living on the edge there for sure. I de-powered the sails and headed up for take offs and landings but we still had almost 2 knots. The take offs from the dodger top were less nerve-racking than landing which involved literally grabbing it out of the sky. Fortunately, these drones are partially automated so fairly "easy" to fly. But yeah, like you said, just a matter of when...

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Great video and production. Honestly, I don't care what camera, drone or editing software y'all used. I want to meet your friends who know how to do that. Thanks for sharing.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Kermie, can't you just snatch a drone out of the sky with your tongue?

Aug 31, 2004
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
We are new owners of a 322 and love the layout so far. Had to spend some bucks on new sails and furling unit, but it'll be worth it.
Love the video!

Aug 12, 2016
O'Day 322 Seattle, WA
Congratulations on the 322 David! Glad you like the video and thanks for the note. After one season with the 322, I couldn't be happier. A great boat. Happy sailing.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The Tarot is almost 6' tip to tip, and with 6 carbon blades, there is no freakin way that anybody we like would try to grab it in the air. (We need a much bigger boat)

Nice video !

Feb 22, 2010
Oday 322 Delaware River
Andy,
Thanks so much for the GREAT video! I have owned my O'Day 322 for 8 years now, and this is a great new view of the boat.

Aug 12, 2016
O'Day 322 Seattle, WA
Thanks! I have since captured some new footage which I might post in another video eventually. Lots of fun. I found drones can also be useful by scouting out anchorages, moorings, or slip availability ahead of arrival too. This spring I'm going to try hoisting a small camera and platform under a kite for some different droneless aerial shots. If I can make it work, I'll post it.
Cheers