O’Day 322 backing plates

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I was working on a few things today on my 1988 O’Day 322...it raised a few questions:

1) Did the O’Day 322 come with mid-ship cleats? My boat has them, but they are on a base to raise them above the aluminum toe rail. I wonder if they are original or if one of the PO’s added them.

2) In the same area of the mid-ship cleats, what did O’Day use for a core between the top and bottom glass layers? I see a foam material around the hatches when I had them out, but under one of the cleats, it seems like a void between the 2 layers of glass. I filled the void with thickened epoxy and will redrill the holes....but I wonder what the core material was.

3) The jib sheet winches are mounted in a dedicated spot on the cockpit coming. When I was in the port lazerette, I noticed that there was no backing plate under the winch. I checked the jib sheet winch on the STB side, and no backing plate there either...so the question is, did Oday embed an aluminum plate in the layup for the jib sheet winches? I plan to add backing plates, but curious if there is aluminum in the layup or not.

thanks,

Greg

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
1. The youtube video of a O'day 322 does not have them:
Your mod-ship cleat might have been added as an original option or by a PO. Convenient to secure a spring line.

2. Post #18 might answer your question about core material: Keel issues on O'Day 322?

3. You might find you answer about backing plates in these SBO threads: