O'Day 31 Rudder

Nov 11, 2014
Oday 31 Charleston SC
Many thanks to previous posts. Very helpful. My '86 OD 31 rudder under shudders under sail. The cables are taught. With the Wheel Break on, I cannot turn the Steering Quadrant by hand. All is tight. With the wheel break off, I turn the wheel and stop the rotation: I'm guessing the rudder/rudder post continues to move another 1/4 to 1/2 inch before it stops with a slight bump. The wheel has about two to three inches of play without affect the rudder movement. jAgain, the cables are taught. All bolts are tight, including the bolt through the hub. Could the rudder post have worn away at the through bolt? Are there any bushings which might have worn away? Does anyone have a schematic? I found an old one online but it's too fuzzy to read. Thanks in advance. PS, the boat is in the water at the moment.

Feb 22, 2010
Oday 322 Delaware River
I am going to make a wild guess that if you were able to look at the steering quadrant (the fitting the cable attach to which is connected to the rudder stock under the deck), that you might find the quadrant has play in it as it turns the rudder stock. This might be because there is a bolt through the quadrant to a hole drilled in the rudder stock and that hole has become oversized over the years, and/or the locking key is loose in the groove that receives it in the rudder stock (may not be visible). If the cables are tight, then I vote for play in the rudder quadrant.
This would require someone examining the rudder stock below deck, while someone else works the play in the steeering wheel above deck, and see if there is movement between the quadrant and the rudder stock. A very small amount of movement at the stock would have a significant feel at the wheel.

quadrant.jPG

Nov 11, 2014
Oday 31 Charleston SC
Thank you for the reply. I did what you suggested and my wife worked the wheel while I looked for anything to be tightened. As you can see from my pics, my OD has a different configuration. I have a large 'flywheel' and the single bolt holding the rudder post on. You were also right about the play'; an 1/8 - 1/4 inch play is yeilding a two inch play in the wheel. I clearly detemined that the play is internal, that is either the through hole in the rudder post has worn a bit larger over time, or the through bolt has worn down for the same reason. Previous posts indicate the through bolt is the only thing holding the rudder on. I'm reluctant to try to partically slide out the bolt while sliding a new one in from the other side while it's in the water. Any last thoughts?

Attachments

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
The through bolt and quadrant hold your rudder vertically. If your rudder is in good shape, it will have positive buoyancy and will not fall out if you pull out the through bolt. To be safe, tie a line to it (through the hole in the top of the rudder post).

Nov 11, 2014
Oday 31 Charleston SC
Bouyant! Ha! I had no idea and would have never guessed. Thank you for sharing your insight. I'll get to it over the next two weeks or so. Thanks again.