O'Day 302 Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ed P.

I came across an 1988 O'Day 302 for a reasonable price. Anyone have any experience with this boat ? Strengths, weaknesses, etc ? Have seen some posts concerning keel attachment problems.

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

It seems that here in Maine anyway the 302 is well regarded. Like most O'days the comment I've heard about the 302 is that it is solidly built and features unusually roomy accomodations for a boat its size. Like most boats of this type it is plenty for coastal cruising, even for extended periods, but is probably not the boat you want to weather out a major storm offshore aboard - what boat is, though? Keel attachment can be an issue with most boats. Rather than worry about problems with the model I would get the boat surveyed. Try to be there with the surveyor so that you can ask about things s/he finds while the survey is still going on. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

R

R Phillips

Love the boat

I have owned a 1989 for the past 5 years. We use the boat every week (all 52) and love the boat. Sails well and very roomy.I nearly took my keel off in Boston Harbour so that aspect has been taken care of for me.

G

GVB

I have been shopping for used boats in puget sound for a while now, and the 302 is a good boat if you can find one. You can get one for the same price as a Cataline 30 and the O'day is a smarter boat and will likely be in better condition with better features. If you find a 302 in good condition for less than 25k, grab it. There aren't many out there, and if you are looking for a good cruiser with nice features, you can't go wrong. The keel bolt issue is not as dire as one or two owners would have you believe. Just check the damn things once in a while. If you are really concerned, beef them up with a steel backing. Cheap and easy. Any yard can do it. Check the deck for damage. The gelcoat isn't very tough. Voids are common, so learn to patch fiberglass.

Status
Not open for further replies.