O'day 290 dimensions

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
Anybody have an O'day 290 on the hard that can get some dimensions for me? Odd, I know, but I just bought a '91 which is on the hard 3 hours away. I am planning on modifying a trailer to fit, (go ahead roll your eyes and rant, I'll wait . . . .) OK, I'm looking for basic dimensions so I can decide on a trailer that I found on Craigs List, hours away. So the dimension from the end of the stern to the middle of the keel at the bottom where it joins the top of the wing. Then, from the same point on the keel to the tip of the bow. I admit that the likelihood of anybody being able to do this for me is slight at best but it's worth a try. Especially since there were only 8 made!

Thanks in advance,

Don "What am I THINKING???" Scribner

Apr 4, 2013
O'day 240 NY, NY (City Island)
Congrats on the purchase, Don! I think I saw the ad for that 290... looks like a terrific boat and was wishing I could have made an offer myself. Although it looks like the wing keel was unique to O'day's version of the boat, in other respects it seems identical to the Cal 2-28. Might find some dimensions for that boat that would probably also apply to yours. Good luck!

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
Thanks Greg. We had looked at 272s and 302s but then stumbled across Yonder. She takes care of the "problems" with the 272s we had looked at. "Problems" mean the admiral didn't like certain features. Mouse skin interior, head size and location, gray gelcoat and the like. This one has a nice textured fiberglass interior (no mildew), a head tucked back on the starboard quarter with a shower, and a sugar-scoop transom with boarding ladder. The survey came out pretty good with a couple of issues that need addressing.
You're right on the Cal-28 thing. This is actually a Pearson-O'day. The HID starts with "POD". Pearson had swallowed Cal prior to buying O'day. Then . . . . "everything that has a beginning must have an end". Too bad. I'll look up the specs there and see if I can get a drawing or photo that I can import and measure. Thanks for the idea!

Don

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
The gray hull is my favorite .....it is always commented on by people passing us on the mooring...I agree with the complaints on the hull liner and head...the hull liner is in good shape in our main cabin, but the liner in the quarter-berth and under the cockpit floor is a major headache....the head is too small to really be functional....but the sailing qualities of the 272 are exceptional compared to much of the competition at the time the boats were sold....our keel is fine and has been fine...no issues and have not seen 272's with a chord width issue as is often discussed on this forum (302's and 322's) but the chord length is too short. Just my thoughts...extremely high labor costs helped take these companies down....that and the leveraged buy-out by the then O'Day management and the famous Boston bank....it's all on line and makes for interesting Sunday afternoon browsing...Pat