Oday 28 want to know more before I buy

Oct 10, 2022
Oday, West wight Potter 28, 15 Panama City Beach
I found an Oday 28 on Facebook marketplace and I’m looking to buy it but I’d like to know more. It doesn’t have an inboard but the outboard is in good condition. Everything else I see has it in good condition as well. They are asking 3000 for it.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Suggest doing an internet search on Oday 28 sailboat specs and reviews to learn about the boat. Plus have a marine inspection to confirm the sailboat's equipment inventory and condition.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
What year? I see 3 different varieties of the O28

The boat built in the 80’s appears to not have an auxiliary. So, I assume it is that one.

it also depends on if it is a fixed keel or center board version.

Like every 30+ year old boat, a good inspection is critical.

Greg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The inboard engine (edit: or OMC saildrive) was standard, so at some point it must’ve broken down and a previous owner replaced it with the outboard. The 28 is really on the heavy side for an outboard, and not designed for it. If you plan on cruising or needing to motor in any kind of rough sea state it will probably struggle. Any resale would be complicated by that too.

One other thing to check for on O’Days of that era is water intrusion in the core from any bedded hardware. O’Day didn’t do a great job of sealing the core under hardware so any leaks tend to go straight to the core and soften it. I’d recommend a survey to check for that kind of thing.

Oct 10, 2022
Oday, West wight Potter 28, 15 Panama City Beach
Welcome to the forum!!

Suggest doing an internet search on Oday 28 sailboat specs and reviews to learn about the boat. Plus have a marine inspection to confirm the sailboat's equipment inventory and condition.
What year? I see 3 different varieties of the O28

The boat built in the 80’s appears to not have an auxiliary. So, I assume it is that one.

it also depends on if it is a fixed keel or center board version.

Like every 30+ year old boat, a good inspection is critical.

Greg
it is a 1979 but it’s possible they didn’t know and just listed it as such. I plan on going to see and inspect it before I buy it

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
As @Davidasailor26 mentioned, they are notorious for deck leaks because O'Day used silicone which is notorious for failing. I have a Saildrive as an inboard and a 9.9 outboard on my O'Day 25. The outboard likes to come out of the water in larger waves and it's very difficult to control the boat in the marina. Both props are within an inch or two height wise. It's simply a night and day difference between the two engines

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
I had a '79. YSM8 inboard. Outboards are an ugly bandaid to me....I moved from a Catalina 25 to the Oday 28 to get away from outboard and all the issues that come with. $3k is not a bad price. I had soft coachroof due to turning blocks or mast partner...check the important structure: deck, mast partner, chainplates. Good luck

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Look carefully at the bulkheads that the chainplates connect to. It's a common spot for leaks. If it's compromised the mast could fall leaving a hole in the deck. The repair isn't complicated but it is work nonetheless