O'Day 28 Ritchie Compass

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
My original compass has had it after 39 years so need to replace. Ritchie makes a ton of different types. Anyone know which one is original to this boat. Want to get a correct fit without drilling new holes, making other mods, etc. This is flush mount in Edson pedestal.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My O’Day 322 has a Ritchie Power Damp…mounted in the binnacle. I would guess around 4” diameter. I see that the make a 4.5” model….

What is wrong with the old one? The fluid can be refilled if it has an air bubble (see my video below). The plastic spacer that mine sits on had yellowed quite a bit, so I painted it white to match the pedestal. Looks pretty good now…IMG_2820.png

Here is the refill video…

Greg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
39 years is pretty good service. I'm pretty sure it's off warantee.
I think the best way to do a part to part swap is to take the old part out, inspect it for any part, model or serial number. Measure it. And the contact the manufacturer to see if there is a drop in replacement.
In today's world, drop in replacements are becoming more rare. I have been amazed at how often I observe buyers of electronics find out that the new stuff doesn't fit the old cutouts. The auto industry standardized radio mounts decades ago. The marine industry hasn't done as well. I once asked a buyer what the reason he bought the chart ploter he did, and his answer was it fit the cut out that existed. He didn't even particularly like the brand.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
You guys may be right. It could well be salvaged. It has lost all its oil and more recently has gone cloudy probably from humidity inside now that the oil is gone. Probably should pull it and get it checked out as it really seems to still read ok.

Jan 7, 2011
You guys may be right. It could well be salvaged. It has lost all its oil and more recently has gone cloudy probably from humidity inside now that the oil is gone. Probably should pull it and get it checked out as it really seems to still read ok.
There are some outfits that will rebuild them.

In fact, Ritchie has a factory rebuild program… Pricey, but way less than a new compass. You need to verify your compass can be remanufactured as they seem to have stopped doing some compasses.

Greg

• Helpful
Jan 7, 2011
I necked the size of the Ritchie Powerdamp on my O’Day 322, and is about 6” diameter, 20” circumference.

a bit hard to measure In place due to the bubble… and as I look at the Ritchie units, I am not sure what exactly they measure…the entire compass housing or just the “card”.
IMG_2917.jpeg

There are only 3 screws that hold it on the binnacle, so you should be able to remove those, pull the compass and check for an ID tag.

Greg

Aug 7, 2021
O'day 28 Casco Bay
As someone who hates waste, I'd certainly see if it could be salvaged. You can try Viking instruments in Kingston, MA and Dave Witherhill in Cumberland, Maine.

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Pulled mine off my 1981 O'Day 34. It's a model SP-5, serial # A81which is a 5" Globemaster. The screw above the label is where oil is put in. Richie sells the oil for it on their site and can supply several smaller seals, but you have to call to get the seals ordered.
IMG_7307.JPEG

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
I finally took it off. It's an HF-73, no longer made, of course, but my sense is all it needs is a lube job so to speak (fluid refill) and there is a Richie listed service place two towns away so I will give that a go. Hate to scrap it and hate more to start boring new holes.

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Adding fluid is not too difficult. I used a child’s medicine syringe to fill mine up. The hole was relatively small.