Oday 28 repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jason Lemos

Help! Have a oday 28 with a small crack in the center of the area between the primary and secondary sidestays on the port side. This area was neglected to a point that the area is now so soft that mast stability is questionable. The mast has been removed for safety. My question is what is the best way to repair this area back to the rock solid state it should be? The forward most sidestay does not bolt through as the rearward one does. It looks to have just a metal backing plate in between the balsa core. At this point I cannot see how it is attached. Should I swiss cheese the area and refill with epoxy/hardener or is a skin removal a better option? Anyone have this happen to their boat and if so what did you do? Thanks.

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Fixing your 28

Jason - You are probably going to need to remove the top skin of glass, replace a small area of core, and replace it. Its not that hard to do but it needs to be warm to kick off the epoxy. I missed the opportunity to do glass work on my boat this year; too cold now. Where is the boat? Might be easier to come check it out with you. I'm in Brunswick. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

J

Jason Lemos

Oday repair, Justin

Justin, the boat is in storage in Vermont for the winter and I will be having it hauled to my home in Bangor next spring. It was neglected for awhile but the price is right and aside from this damage the boat is in good shape for a 79. Thanks for your reply, really do appreciate your input!

D

Don Evans

Doable Repair...

Justin is right, and Jason you need to determine the extent of the rot. It might cover a bigger area then it seems as the core, likely balsa, wicks the water away from the crack. I would drill small test holes in a cross pattern into the deck skin starting at the crack and pull out the core material to determine if its wet (if its balsa it will be mush). Once you determine the area to replace, set a circular sawblade to the depth of the skin, plus a bit, likely about 1/8", and cut a square of the skin off. Some have also used a roto zip saw with success. I would try to salvage the skin for replacement, but all is not lost if you botch the cut, as you can refiberglass or epoxy over the new core (I would finish the exterior with gelcoat resin). If it was me, I would cut a piece of plywood to fit into the removed core, sealing the entire wood with epoxy first. Replace that forward bedded stay backing plate also if it looks pitted. Fill any voids with thickened epoxy too. Fill all test holes with thickened epoxy and replace the skin finish with a colour matched gelcoat and try to match the repair to the deck. Look for a couple of good references. One from the "West System" covers this type of repair. Another is Don Casey's "Fiberglass Deck and Hull Repair".

J

Jason Lemos

oday 28, Don Evans

Thanks for the reply Don. I've done some research but without the experiance to back it, I wasnt sure if the job was too critical for the average layperson to do it. Thanks again.

J

Jason Lemos

Don Evans oday 28

Don, When you suggest placing a peice of plywood into the removed core area, are you saying to use just the plywood or am I to replace with a piece of balsa core as well? Thanks.

D

Don Evans

Balsa not necessary...

For a small area of core replacement. The weight savings gained using balsa would be minimal, and plywood is stronger and more easily obtained. The easiest part of the job will be to cut out the skin and remove the mushy core. The hardest job here is in finishing the repair and to get a good match to the existing deck, and this takes some trial and error with gelcoat colour additives. If you doubt your abilities, it may be worth getting this done professionally, as this is the finish your eye will constantly scrutinize. Good luck in your decisions. Don

Status
Not open for further replies.