Oday 28 Pivot Point

Apr 27, 2020
Oday 28 Post Washington
I'm installing amidship cleats on my 81 Oday 28 before I launch, does anyone have the pivot point location for this boat? Without it being afloat I feel like I'm kind of taking a guess.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Not sure if there is a pivot point actually, as it would depend if fore and aft forces are equal. How ever the mid ship point on a vessel is I believe the widest part. Having said that, do you have sail tracks where you could use one of these movable cleats.
1588020900194.png

I believe they come in sizes for 1" or 1.25". It would make it possible to adjust and allow you to find the optimum position.

Apr 27, 2020
Oday 28 Post Washington
Not sure if there is a pivot point actually, as it would depend if fore and aft forces are equal. How ever the mid ship point on a vessel is I believe the widest part. Having said that, do you have sail tracks where you could use one of these movable cleats.
View attachment 178225
I believe they come in sizes for 1" or 1.25". It would make it possible to adjust and allow you to find the optimum position.
Thanks for the reply Robert. I do have tracks, but they are mounted inboard from the toe rail quite a bit, my concern is that when I use this cleat for spring lines the lifeline stanchions may interfere. Also, I solo quite a bit and having a cleat right at the toerail makes solo launching & docking easier for me. Thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
In a perfect world the pivot point you seek would be critical.

In my experience, for the task you are solving, a spot within 24 inches fore or aft of the Mast will work. Exactly mid ships "pivot point" is not critical for a spring line. More important is a sound place to locate the cleat. You want to have it out of the way so you do not trip on it, and you want to have a fair lead from the cleat to the dock.

I have used a mid point spring line attached to the chain-plate of my shroud. While not perfect it has worked to aide in my solo docking maneuver.

Using this image of the O'Day 28, depending on your keel it would be at or between the shrouds. The point would be the front base of the keel.

1588113292875.png

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I placed mid-ship cleats on my brand new B323 at the widest part of the hull. This prevents the fore or aft spring lines from chaffing the hull as the line goes higher or lower from the tides or waves. Reply 2 has it right, to assume the OP is considering spring line locations..

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
The pivot point for most sailboat hull forms would be located near the mid-point of the keel. So for locating a mid-ships cleat, I would start there. However, you want the cleat to be ideally a bit AFT of the pivot point, so that when docking by running forward on your after midships spring line, the pressure on the line tends to bring the stern to the dock, rather than the bow. So I would position the cleat a few feet after the mid-point of the keel or the widest point of the beam, which ever is further aft.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The pivot point for most sailboat hull forms would be located near the mid-point of the keel. So for locating a mid-ships cleat, I would start there. However, you want the cleat to be ideally a bit AFT of the pivot point, so that when docking by running forward on your after midships spring line, the pressure on the line tends to bring the stern to the dock, rather than the bow. So I would position the cleat a few feet after the mid-point of the keel or the widest point of the beam, which ever is further aft.
A matter of opinion. We're talking about the boat already being secured by bow and stern "anti-pivot" lines, so we are not talking "pivoting", we are talking about fore and aft movement.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
A matter of opinion. We're talking about the boat already being secured by bow and stern "anti-pivot" lines, so we are not talking "pivoting", we are talking about fore and aft movement.
I thought we were talking about using the cleat and spring to rotate the boat when docking or departing, which would be pivoting.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Actually no, the purpose of the midships cleat and the importance of its location, is in fact for the docking maneuver. A properly located after midships spring line IS the only dock line you need and should use in any docking maneuver, as it allows the helmsman to use the pivoting behavior to align the boat with the dock, and the power of the engine to force the boat against the dock. In any wind or current speed, high or low, or from any direction.

After the boat is stopped in the docked position, being held there by engine in forward against the midships after spring, then crew can secure the bow and stern lines, then you go out of gear.

If the midships cleat is too far forward, then the engine in gear against the after midships spring, tends to pivot the bow in to the dock, not the stern. While this accomplishes the docking, its a lot easier to get off the boat, and looks neater, if the stern is at the dock, not the bow.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Since you mentioned the "docking" use for a Mid Cleat, here is the image and description I have used to solo dock I use this in calm or wild conditions all with success.

Based on my boat, the shroud is a bit in front of the "perfect" pivot point on the boat.

Once the line is over the dock cleat and run back to the boat stern cleat, I can stand at the helm with the shaft at slow turns and work the bow or stern in or out based on the position of the rudder.
Boat Dock Springline.jpg

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Most boats pivot at about 1/3 the way back from the bow, which on a sloop would be near the mast. Reply #2 again. But the widest point would give a better lead.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
For context: I am an ASA Sailing Instructor. Courses that I am certified to teach include ASA 118 - advanced docking.

The pivot point of a monohull sloop sailboat MOVES. When the boat is moving forward, the pivot point of a sloop is usually at the mast. When moving backward, the pivot point of a sloop moves aft (usually at or near the companionway).

I believe that it is best if the mid-ship cleat is aft of the CLR, but this is not vital. The location of the mid-ship cleat is less important than the fact that one is needed. On my O'day 35, I have a movable cleat from Garhauer, mounted all the way forward on my genoa track.

When I dock single handed, I tie up to a pier that is slightly longer than my boat. I bring the boat along the pier slowly, with fenders out, and toss a loop in a stern line which is doubled back to me, over a cleat/bollard on the pier as I approach. I use this line which is brought back to the stern cleat to stop the boat. Once stopped, I position the boat where I want it by engaging the transmission in forward at idle speed while turning the wheel into the pier. I go forward and toss a bow line to the pier, then hop off the boat at the shrouds so that I can secure the bow and then the boat.

Last edited: