O'Day 28 Keel Deflection

Jun 20, 2014
Oday 28 2 Bay City
Update: I completed the repairs to my keel. (Please see attached photos for highlights of the project.) Stages of the repair as follows:
  • cut the perimeter and removed the fiberglass cabin deck. Carefull with cutting so the piece could be reused.
  • adjusted the boat cradle pads to slightly shift the pressure from the keel to the hull
  • removed the forward floor (very rotted wood, concealed by a thick layer of fiberglass)
  • created the templates for replacement floors - extending 12" farther outboard on each side.
  • cut new floors to templates.
  • Installed the new forward floor - seven layers of West Systems laminate and 9oz woven fiberglass fabric.
  • remove the two aft floors. (also rotted)
  • Installed the new aft floors
  • bilge paint
  • installed supports around the perimeter and replaced the cut out deck pieces.
It's been a little stressful and uneasy, because I could not be sure of the repair until we got Cracker Jack up on the slings to splash. We finally got to test it this week and I am grateful to report that the problem with my encapsulated keel is both fixed and greatly upgraded from the builders design.

I've added few pictures.

Attachments