O’Day 28 gelcoat color

Nov 25, 2018
Oday 28 Wiscasset, ME
I have a 1985. I have done some repairs and touched up the gelcoat but have driven myself to distraction and wasted money trying to match the color. I am not looking for perfection - it is an old boat and I go for function over form, not looking to dump money into painting and beautifying as-new because I’ll never get that money back. So I would like just a “pretty close” match that I can use for touch-ups.

I have heard people mention RAL1013 Oyster White.Has anybody used? Any other suggestions? Not interested in mixing kits, swatches etc as I have tried all that. thanks.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Tidal Sand is one color on my boat, but I think that may be for the non skid, not the hull. Rudi is the guy to ask this question.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I use this gelcoat in the cream color and add just a drop of brown pigment to darken it up a bit (a little pigment goes a long way). When polished up it's hard to find the repair.

jtm

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Dataw Island, SC
i had a O'day 23 way back in the 80s and the oday off white - off tan color is a tough color to match- especially after decades of UV beating on it. if you have a good fiberglass guy he should be able to get pretty close to the existing uv beaten shade.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Tidal Sand is one color on my boat, but I think that may be for the non skid, not the hull. Rudi is the guy to ask this question.
@odaydokay Did you use the tidal sand for your non skid? if so, was it a close match to the original?

Also, what brand of paint or gelcoat is the tidal sand you used.
Thanks.

ps: how's the traveler project going?

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
I have a can of the tidal sand powder for a rainy day, but I never used it, so don't know how good the match is! I got it from a yard and the can is not marked so I can't tell you about a brand name.
Still no answer from Garhauer on my request for a proposal. Guess they are flat out or closed, hopefully not the latter.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I use gelcoat with wax from Jamestown Distributors in the color "cream" it may require a little brown tint to get the match perfect.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
One option to color match your gelcoat is to go to the Spectrum website and look up their gelcoat color chart then buy a gelcoat patch kit, quart or gallon that matches. I just did that for a 37 year boat and matched the color almost perfectly for repairing gelcoat chips and scratches left by all the previous boat owners.

Last edited: