O'Day 28 evolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Otto

I've been looking at the O'day 28 as a possible boat for me. In looking at the different boats for sale, it seems like there was a substantial change from '83 to '84. Is this true? It seems like they added the anchor roller, and switched from a drop-leaf table to a bulkhead mounted fold-up table. A year or two earlier it seems they thnged the sink in the head to a plastic molded cabinet and sink.

From studying the different models, it seems that the 28 came in deep keel (4'8"), shoal keel (3'8"), and centerboard (3'2" - 6'10"). The most popular versions seem to be the deep keel. I haven't been able to find any later models with a centerboard. Did they stop producing that version?

Does anyone here know the history?

Thanks!

Mar 28, 2007
Oday 23 Anna Maria Isl.
Hello Otto- There is a pretty decent article in the Jan/Feb combined issue of Good Old Boat magazine on the O'Day 28. Good luck.

Oct 13, 2008
gulfstar 37 west palm beach
I have an oday 82 with a center board for only 6 months now and its my first sailboat. I dont know about the history of them but I know what mine has if that will help.

D

DennisV

O'Day 28

Otto,
I too have been considering a O'Day 28 for my next boat. I'm not currently an owner of a 28, but here is what I believe I've learned.

Structure: In 1984 O'Day switched from standard flat chainplates to round rods. Practial Sailor called that a product inprovement, but did not explain. To me, 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other.
In 1984 O'Day switched the front hatch from a fiberglass cabin panel (that blends with the contour of the cabin) to a standard aftermarket hatch. My opinion is that the hatch woudl be preferred. It let in light while still remining closed. Easily bought adn replaced if damaged.
In 1984/1985 O'Day did away with the twin deck "crystal" deck lights. I'm not sure if the buyer had a choice to order with or without. I like without. One less thing to leak.

Reference the table. I know of the bulkhead table (standard with the deep keel) and stanionary table with drop down leafs. (standard with shoal draft confirguration).

Hope this helps.

M

Mike Kell

O'day 28

I have an oday 82 with a center board for only 6 months now and its my first sailboat. I dont know about the history of them but I know what mine has if that will help.
I have had my 1980 O'day 28 for only a couple of months. It has the centerboard feature and has been a real help in shoal waters around Cedar Key and Suwannee.

It sails well even with the board up and gets great fuel economy at about 2300 rpm and 4.7 knts. though it will hit more than 6 knts. at 3500 rpm.

Mike Kell

Status
Not open for further replies.