Oday 28 1995 Universal 12 10hp diesel - starter replacement

Nov 29, 2021
O'Day 28 Milwaukee
Hello, I want to replace my starter. I believe my brushes are starting to go. I bought a new one recently just curious if anyone has any suggestions before I start this project? Has anyone done this before, how difficult may this be, etc?

Thanks in advance

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Once you have the starter off, take it to a local auto electrical shop and have them take a look. Brushes should be easy to replace and less expensive than a new starter.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is a project that you can accomplish with a little mechanical understanding of your diesel engine and some basic tools. Be sure to disconnect your batteries first. There will be a large cable going to the starter. It is safer if that one is not directly connected to the battery. Take a picture of the wiring before you disconnect any wires. There is a pretty good chance you’ll forget where they go when you get to the reinstalling wires task.
Good luck.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Had my starter rebuilt. Before that process I had a bitch of a time removing it. After it was removed and rebuilt I decided to replace the very rusty bolts with SS... wrong.... killed the ground plane.. so back to steal and everything was good....