O'Day 272LE bimini

Sep 7, 2009
O'Day 1987 272Le Lake Arthur, Moraine State Park Portersville,Pa.
I'm looking for a bimini for my 272LE that covers the wheel to the stern. My boat is shrink wrapped so I can't get the dimensions till spring. I want to get a early start for my sailing season to do list. Does anyone have a bimini for this situation or what canvus supply would have this pattern in their system ?
Chuck

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
The SBO team at this site delivered an excellent bimini for similar use on or ‘77 h27 At a very good price. And it’s still performing well after 18 years!

Dec 5, 2015
Oday 272LE Louisville, KY
Chuck:

I think that you are trying to do the same thing with your 272LE that I am (which is to be able to sail or motor with a bimini over my bald head in my case). My mast is down for the season, but the boom stops short of the pedestal guard if my memory is correct. This only leaves us 42-48 inches from the steering pedestal to the stern. We also have to contend with a split backstay in the 42-48" of space. Custom biminis are more than I want to spend and the bucks would be better spent on new sails in my case. Let me know what you find out.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I am in the midst (beginnings) of sorting out the same issue. I have an off the shelf bimini frame and top. I have so far converted the frame to dip under the boom for a few inches and go all the way back to the transom rail. The top has been removed. For the forward bow loops and the mid bow loops, long zippers will be sewn in. The rear, due to the split back stays, the top will be cut from the rear to the back stays. Each cut will have a re enforced hole at the point where the stay goes through the top. For the rear bow there will be three smaller zippers installed. The previously installed anchor straps will be adjusted to hold the entire bimini in place. If my plan works, its about three hours of a canvas experts time to make the cuts and sew.

Sep 7, 2009
O'Day 1987 272Le Lake Arthur, Moraine State Park Portersville,Pa.
Thanks for your reply. The cost for a new Bimini is pretty high. I had the fittings to attach to the handrail, so I'm going to make a pattern from a blue tarp and 1/2" pvc tubing. Since my boat is shrink wrapped, I will have to wait till Spring to finish the pattern. The finish product will be from Sunbrella and Alum. tubing. Thanks again for all of your input.

Aug 17, 2017
Catalina Catalina 30 MKII 5346 Melbourne Yacht Club
I also have a '272LE and am thinking of installing a bimini. I'd be very interested in seeing pictures of same. I'm considering installing one so it fits under the boom to provide shade to the forward area of the cockpit. Even though headroom would be lost, my crew would be comfortable.

Aug 5, 2020
O'day 27LE Dollar Bay, MI
I also have a '272LE and am thinking of installing a bimini. I'd be very interested in seeing pictures of same. I'm considering installing one so it fits under the boom to provide shade to the forward area of the cockpit. Even though headroom would be lost, my crew would be comfortable.
Did you ever get a picture of his bimini with zippers and how he handled storage? Thanks in advance. my email : ricknye1@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2020
O'day 27LE Dollar Bay, MI
Did you ever get a picture of his bimini with zippers and how he handled storage? Thanks in advance. my email : ricknye1@gmail.com