O'day 272 LE Engine Question...what are they?

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Changing the oil last week I stupidly disconnected two wires ( spade plugs) that appear to belong connected in the area around the dip-stick/oil filter on the Westerbeke Diesel.....I rrealized quickly that I had disconnected something important, and I got the two wires back on the spade connection above the oil filter but for the life of me, I have no idea what I disconnected (i.e. source for the two wires/what do they do?) and now I have no idea if the engine will even start
....it's like what if red went here and yellow went there, but I have no idea which spade plugs belonged connected to which spade connector.....these are both on the left side of the engine, above the oil filter slightly to aft of the dip stick....and above.....boy, there is a great description...
So I have no idea if the boat will even start....here is my daily question....do spade connectors generally have a bit of color to denote which wire goes where......I've tried to call Westerbeke in Massachusetts but they are not answering the telephone.....any ideas? A mechanic I am not..
Thanks for your thoughts and ideas and have a happy Memorial weekend....Patrick in Wichita

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
The access to the compartment is limited to the door under the sink/ left of the engine and the door is maybe 8 inches. to
possibly 9 inches wide....I'm taking make-up mirrors, tilting mirrors, ..should also take my little camera too I guess.....I can't imagine putting my head thru the door under the sink...but I think I can get a picture....good idea...I had not thought of taking a picture.....my wife has accepted invitations for tomorrow so today is my only day to scope it out...temperatures in the mid 90s don't help at all.......thank you for your thoughts...Have a happy weekend! Pat

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I'm taking make-up mirrors, tilting mirrors, ..should also take my little camera too I guess
If you have a smartphone that's a huge help for those kinds of spots, between the built in flash and ability to take video it's pretty good.

Dec 5, 2015
Oday 272LE Louisville, KY
I have a 272LE with a Universal M 12 diesel and I found a wiring diagram online. You can probably find the wiring diagram for the Westerbeke online also. If you have the trailer type wiring harness for your engine, it is recommended that you get rid of it or at least cut the higher amperage circuits out of it because of fire hazards

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
If I remember right those are for the oil pressure sending unit which is fwd of the oil filter.
Turn on the key and see if you get an oil pressure warning.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
I'm headed out to the boat today and will check all of the above....there are line drawings as well as photographs of the oil filter area/dipstick, etc....but the connections above & behind the filter are not clearly shown in the photo....and I'm using
a pretty good quality magnifying glass to peruse the area...I'm going to take my small auto-focus Panasonic camera with me and shoot some hots of the area....also will try and start the engine and see what happens....could be a big ka-boom..Pat

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
I got to the boat yesterday...I could see the spade lugs (?) on two terminals....and started the engine with a bevy of on-lookers and low and behold it started right up....ran like a top for about 15 minutes or so and no sign of anthing amiss so I shut it down and I think I lucked out....they are little spade connectors or whatever they are called.but I had totally disconnected them not realizing by accident..they did not show up on the engine cut sheets provided to me last year by Westerbeke but they are right above and slightly aft of the oil filter. I
am lucky to have so many friends at our club .....they watched out me from near and afar.....thanks to everyone above for their thoughtful help and advice....what a great website! Patrick in Wichita.

Last edited: