Oday 272 Head

May 12, 2014
Oday 272 Groton
Hello all,

I just purchased an 1986 Oday 272. The head was removed by a previous owner and I am planning to reinstall a new one. I am wondering what head others have in their 272s? Was the original a "full size" or "compact" head?

Also, what is the lifespan of the holding tank? Anybody have to replace theirs due to a failure? It is a poly tank under the Vberth.

Thanks for any help!

-Andy

Jun 30, 2010
C&C Corvette Navarre Beach, Florida
I finished installing my head system today. My C&C 31 had a space for all the parts but was bare when I got it. I will try to post some photos tomorrow. My new tank fits behind the toilet and is curved to fit the hull. I purchased the tank from Holland Marine. The toilet is a Jabsco Twist n lock manual flush model. The only glitch is that I have to hold my finger over the inlet hose vented loop cap for the water to pick up properly.

May 12, 2014
Oday 272 Groton
I finished installing my head system today. My C&C 31 had a space for all the parts but was bare when I got it. I will try to post some photos tomorrow. My new tank fits behind the toilet and is curved to fit the hull. I purchased the tank from Holland Marine. The toilet is a Jabsco Twist n lock manual flush model. The only glitch is that I have to hold my finger over the inlet hose vented loop cap for the water to pick up properly.
I believe the loop should be between the pump and the head. If you put the loop before the pump it can't create suction without you blocking the vent.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I believe the loop should be between the pump and the head. If you put the loop before the pump it can't create suction without you blocking the vent.
This.

If you feel the need to have a vented loop on the intake, it has to be AFTER the pump, on the line that goes to the bowl.

Nov 1, 2010
Oday 272 Brownstown, MI - Lake Erie Metro Park Marina
Andy, I just installed the "Compact" Jabsco ($175) and flexible tank ($250) under the "V" similar to what was removed. about 18 ft of 1.5 in white sanitation hose and 7 ft of 5/8 in vent hose. I was able to reuse the 3/4 in water inlet hose (6 ft) from under the Stbrd. seat in the main cabin ($100 for hoses).
The new hose was higher quality and not very flexible; therefore, U may need to cut the necessary holes at 2 1/8" dia. hopefully your water inlet and deck waste outlet still exist?
You will also need the "U" vent. Jackdaw's diagram shows one of the plumbing applications. No Diverter or direct to sea outlet here in the Great Lakes - everything to the holding tank.

Second thought: a $150 Porta Potti might have sufficed? Less work, Less issues///

May 12, 2014
Oday 272 Groton
Andy, I just installed the "Compact" Jabsco ($175) and flexible tank ($250) under the "V" similar to what was removed. about 18 ft of 1.5 in white sanitation hose and 7 ft of 5/8 in vent hose. I was able to reuse the 3/4 in water inlet hose (6 ft) from under the Stbrd. seat in the main cabin ($100 for hoses).
The new hose was higher quality and not very flexible; therefore, U may need to cut the necessary holes at 2 1/8" dia. hopefully your water inlet and deck waste outlet still exist?
You will also need the "U" vent. Jackdaw's diagram shows one of the plumbing applications. No Diverter or direct to sea outlet here in the Great Lakes - everything to the holding tank.

Second thought: a $150 Porta Potti might have sufficed? Less work, Less issues///
After much deliberation I cut the old holding tank out of the vberth and removed all of the associated plumbing. I installed a SeaLand 711-M28. I plumbed the vent and pump out which only needed a few feet of hose. I added a Groco pump to my fresh water system and now I have pressure water, fresh water for flush and two thru hulls that I will glass up next year.

The bowl it definitely tall and my kids will have to climb a bit but I'm going to add a step and see how it goes this year. I'll let you know how it works out. The boat should be going in the water in the next couple weeks.

-Andy

Nov 1, 2010
Oday 272 Brownstown, MI - Lake Erie Metro Park Marina
Andy,
I just checked on the Sealand 711-m28 - It appears that U made an excellent decision! I may have made the same move and would have saved some time....
Regards, John