Oday 272 Head Installation

May 12, 2014
Oday 272 Groton
Hello all,

I just purchased an 1986 Oday 272. The head was removed by a previous owner and I am planning to reinstall a new one. I am wondering what head others have in their 272s? Was the original a "full size" or "compact" head?

Also, what is the lifespan of the holding tank? Anybody have to replace theirs due to a failure? It is a poly tank under the Vberth.

Thanks for any help!

-Andy

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
You will love this. We replaced the original Groco HF head which was hard to pump, but functional, with a Raritan PHII which is highly regarded, but ours has just quit working...
It will not pump water into the head, but the thru hull is fine. Patrick

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Whatever you do, get the household size.
And have a BIG magazine rack in the head. :eek:

If you're planning in spending enough time in there to need a big "bowl" you may have other issues...;)

OK, OK, Ron, I give up! :doh:

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
No, the PHC is the pump and base without a "skirt", IIRC you can get either with the two bowl sizes.

Head Replacement 101 - Installation of PHII Head http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3797.0.html

Peggie chimed in.

I had the same question years ago, so I went to the Raritan website and read up, not so hard to do, I think you can get a link through the SBO store, right here.

Oct 22, 2010
Oday 272 Monroe Harbor, Chicago
Hello all,

I just purchased an 1986 Oday 272. The head was removed by a previous owner and I am planning to reinstall a new one. I am wondering what head others have in their 272s? Was the original a "full size" or "compact" head?

Also, what is the lifespan of the holding tank? Anybody have to replace theirs due to a failure? It is a poly tank under the Vberth.

Thanks for any help!

-Andy
I intalled a Vetus Flexible (square) 15 gal tank under the V-birth in my O'Day25 that lasted 12 years. I replaced it with the same. Highly recommend this type tank. It comes with heavy duty grommets in the 4 corners. I glassed four 4" sections of 2X4 to the inside hull and used large diameter woodscrews through the grommets into pre-drilled holes. Positions do not need to be exact as the tank flexes a lot, just be sure not to stretch the distances and allow for the bag to fill which will look like a giant balloon when full. Fatening the grommet will prevent the tank from sliding/schafing. Tank fittings came included but must be installed which is great so they can go in optimal places for discharge, pump-out and vent hoses.
Good Luck!
Note: I pump with Lake Michigan fresh water - not salt water