O'Day 272 has a Vetus Water Loc for 2" hose but a 1 7/8" hose and 1 7/8" exhaust thru-hull? Is this right?

Jul 7, 2020
Catalina 30 Philadelphia
I was replacing old hoses on my 1984 O'Day 272 and noticed that the exhaust water hose is 1 7/8". I then measured the exhaust thru-hull and that is also around 1 7/8", definitely not 2". Yet the Vetus Water Loc is a 50mm model (2") and is made for a 2" hose. Is it normal for an O'Day 272 to have a 1 7/8" hose and 1 7/8" exhaust? I have read on forums where people describe the exhaust hose as being a 2" hose.
Did O'Day mismatch the Vetus, exhaust water hose, and exhaust thru-hull? I don't know whether to change my exhaust thru-hull to 2" to match the Vetus properly or what. Please help. Thanks.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Is there a problem with the exhaust? In other words, why mess with it?

Hard to believe someone got a 1 7/8” hose on a 2“ muffler inlet/outlet.

the hose usually has a size stamped on it...can you see if it really 1 7/8 or 2”?

Either way, if it isn’t broken, I wouldn’t mess with it.

Greg

Jul 7, 2020
Catalina 30 Philadelphia
Is there a problem with the exhaust? In other words, why mess with it?

Hard to believe someone got a 1 7/8” hose on a 2“ muffler inlet/outlet.

the hose usually has a size stamped on it...can you see if it really 1 7/8 or 2”?

Either way, if it isn’t broken, I wouldn’t mess with it.

Greg
Yes, it's definitely a 1 7/8 hose which is printed on the hose, and the exhaust thru-hull is 1 3/4 - 1 7/8 as well, definitely not 2",

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Did O'Day mismatch the Vetus, exhaust water hose, and exhaust thru-hull? I don't know whether to change my exhaust thru-hull to 2" to match the Vetus properly or what. Please help. Thanks.
It would seem unusual at best for the manufacturer to mismatch like that. It could be a PO replaced the muffler, perhaps getting the wrong size. We don't know, and most likely you can't either. We all know it's frustrating.

It would seem that the issue is NOT what O'Day might have done, but rather what it is that YOU have right in front of you, which you've described but none of us can see. And without photos, too.

Unless there is someone here with that boat who can answer, I think the best any of us can offer is to measure twice, cut once.

Good luck.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I was replacing old hoses on my 1984 O'Day 272 and noticed that the exhaust water hose is 1 7/8". I then measured the exhaust thru-hull and that is also around 1 7/8", definitely not 2". Yet the Vetus Water Loc is a 50mm model (2") and is made for a 2" hose. Is it normal for an O'Day 272 to have a 1 7/8" hose and 1 7/8" exhaust? I have read on forums where people describe the exhaust hose as being a 2" hose.
You never mentioned if there is something wrong (or leaking) from your current system....

I see Vetus has water lock mufflers that have different inlet/outlet sizes...for example this model has a 1 9/16 inlet/outlet...

I am not sure how to size one to a specific engine...I assume by the liter capacity of the muffler. My 2GM20F uses a Waterlock 50LP model.

So, what exactly is wrong with your current setup?

Greg