O'Day 272 forward hatch

Jan 7, 2012
catalina 22 Cave Run Lake
Any reason the hatch is turned around backwards on this boat? I assume all I need to is unscrew the hatch and reseal to turn it around.?

Attachments

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
While I'm not very familiar with the C-22, that is most odd. Maybe a PO mod? Is there a hinge part on the aft end? You might be able to turn around only the hatch cover without taking the base(?) off.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
The hinges fit into the frame, so you will have to remove and rebed the frame. The holes will probably not line up, of course, so you should fill the old ones and drill new ones. This is a good time to remove all your through deck fittings and pot them and rebed your fittings with butyl rubber.

Aug 3, 2012
It is interesting that it has the cheaper, plastic frame hatch. I would guess it is an 87 or 88? My 87 has aluminum framed hatches. I replaced my plexi with 1/2" while I was restoring the boat, so stepping on it would not break it. However, I am not sure that would be effective with the plastic frames.

Oh, and I see no reason why someone turned it around. It will catch sheets if opened just as well as if it were reversed, and it will not catch breeze nearly as well, as the boat will most likely ride bow to the wind. Perhaps they had it in a slip with the stern facing the prevailing winds?

Jan 7, 2012
The hinges fit into the frame, so you will have to remove and rebed the frame. The holes will probably not line up, of course, so you should fill the old ones and drill new ones. This is a good time to remove all your through deck fittings and pot them and rebed your fittings with butyl rubber.
All on my to do list. The list I am sure will get longer as I dig into her.

Jan 7, 2012
It is interesting that it has the cheaper, plastic frame hatch. I would guess it is an 87 or 88? My 87 has aluminum framed hatches. I replaced my plexi with 1/2" while I was restoring the boat, so stepping on it would not break it. However, I am not sure that would be effective with the plastic frames.

Oh, and I see no reason why someone turned it around. It will catch sheets if opened just as well as if it were reversed, and it will not catch breeze nearly as well, as the boat will most likely ride bow to the wind. Perhaps they had it in a slip with the stern facing the prevailing winds?
Where can I get the upgrade hatch at? The plexiglass or whatever it is is cracked all over and needs replaced. While I'm at it I would like to upgrade the farm as well.

Aug 3, 2012
Bomar hatches are the replacement. Unfortunately, a good hatch is pretty expensive. Maybe check Craigslist or ebay.

Aug 3, 2012
Yes, the 3/16 and 1/4" plexi "crazes" quickly. It helps to cover them when not in use.

Jan 7, 2012
So far I have come up with DR Marine hatch which looks to have plastic molding, Bomar 900 series hatch, and lewmar ocean 40 hatch. I think Lewmar makes a cheaper grade that is thinner. I have NO intentions of crossing oceans but like agprice22 said I want it heavy enough I can step on it and not busy it. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I want it heavy enough I can step on it and not busy it.
I don't know of a hatch with a plastic lens that a grown person can step on and not risk breaking it. Don't think like that. Stay off the hatch and tell guests the same thing. :)

Aug 3, 2012
I don't know of a hatch with a plastic lens that a grown person can step on and not risk breaking it. Don't think like that. Stay off the hatch and tell guests the same thing. :)
Well, I agree that I would not plan on it being a common occurrence. However, I weigh 157, and my aluminum hatch with 1/2" plexi doesn't suffer if I step on it. I do not make a habit of it, but it is nice to not have to avoid it.
I do not know the weight limits, but it works for me.