O'day 272 Chain Plate

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bion Foster

I purchased a 1986 272 last season (my first sail boat). Had an survey performed, and was told she was a solid example. After a spirited sail this Saturday, I noted that the port chain plate (hidden inside the bulkhead) has splintered an area at the surface of the bulkhead about the size of the starboard chainplate. I've asked my Marina to take a look and estimate damage and propose repairs. Looking at the O'Day owners site today, it appears that this is not a common problem, but one which some of you are familiar with. How does the chain plate attach to the hull? How extensive may the required repairs be? Can the repair generally be made without further damage to the bulkhead? How? Can a marina with general ability make a lasting repair? If anyone is local to Salem, MA, can you recommend a yard? Please e-mail me if more convenient at bfoster@netfcu.org Thanks, Bion

D

Don Evans

Some Considerations

I do not know the 272, however you have described a situation that needs further exploring. The chainplates have to be into solid wood, no splintered wood, no rot. Just solid intact bulkhead. I'm confused by your description of splintered. What could cause such destructive forces? Check to be sure any of the bolts (4 I'm assuming), has not been working loose in the bulkhead/chainplate. Forces on the weatherside shrouds and its plate can be extreme, and the bolts have to be solidly attached. Is there any tell-tale water trails from underside the chainplate /deck plates progressing down the bulkheads? Is the weakness in the plate caused by rot? This is a common problem. Chainplates are notorious for sealant failure causing water to penetrate the deck. You/the yard should assess the integrity of the damaged bulkhead and plan on strengthening this area. You asked how the chainplate attaches to the hull. Did you mean the deck? If so, the plate passes through the deck, and is caulked using polysulphide before installing a trim plate. One suggestion would be to bolt a plate spanning the damage at least 3 times the size of the damage, and redrill the chainplate holes. If there is rot, stabilize the area first. You could also install a longer chainplate and find better wood lower on the bulkhead, and epoxy fill the damage for cosmetics. The worst case would be to install a completely new bulkhead. There are other ideas. If you trust your yards plan go with it. Your welcome to post their plan here for further scrutiny. Best of luck. Don

Status
Not open for further replies.