O'day 26 Anchor Procedure

Jan 26, 2015
Oday 26 Nashville, TN
So I've done quite a few searches but have not come up with anything I'm looking for.

I've obviously figured out that the O'day 26 is not ideal for installing an anchor roller which is what I prefer. I've seen a few small ones that could possibly work but they will be offset the center line of the boat due to the stay/pulpit.

Have any of you undertaken this issue and if not, how do you go about anchoring normally?

I don't like the idea of swinging off of a port or starboard cleat. I thought about maybe using a bridle.

Any ideas/thoughts/pictures?

Thanks,

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
I have an Oday 25 and have upgraded my anchor hardware. I have a 20 lbs CQR that is pined to the foredeck on the port side with two anchor pins. There is an anchor roller to starboard that is used when anchoring only as the anchor is stored on the port foredeck as stated above. On the center line of the boat is an 8 inch four bolt cleat used for anchoring. This cleat sets a few inches aft of the anchor roller. The two foredeck side cleats were replaced with 6 inch four bolt cleats. All deck hardware is backed by 1/4 inch aluminum plate. Also, the foredeck was rebuilt with 3 layers of 1/4 inch marine plywood installed from underneath as the foredeck was soft. To make for a better install I removed the navigation side lights and installed an led nav light with the wire running through the bow pulpit. The side lights had to be moved to make way for the deck cleats and roller.

Jan 26, 2015
Oday 26 Nashville, TN
I'd have to look back at the pictures to understand the foredeck differences between the 25 and 26 but I don't know how I could place a roller anywhere. My nav lights are already mounted on the pulpit.

There doesn't appear to be any room between the forestay and the pulpit stanchions to mount a roller, even if it's angled to port or starboard.

EDIT: My main concern is adding a roller or how to anchor without one best to keep the rode from chafing on one side of the bow. The 26 has a nice anchor locker that will hold a Danforth and 200' or so of rode.

Aug 4, 2009
Oday 25 Olympia
You might consider an asymmetrical set up using an ample and well reinforced rail mounted cleat for the following reasons:
1 Ease of installation aft of pulpit stanchion,
2 Avoid chafe at the rail chock due to rode stretch between chock and center line cleat,
3 Reduce tendency to "sail-about-the-anchor" with a jerk and tack at each extreme,
4 Makes a fixed 'target' and a lee for boarding from the dingy.

To get our boat to lie quietly, we attach a spring line(?) between the anchor rode and a cockpit winch then let out another boat length or so of rode as needed to stop self-tacking. The boat then rides off to one side of dead-down-wind, or current, and stays there.
Gudenuph

Jan 26, 2015
Oday 26 Nashville, TN
You might consider an asymmetrical set up using an ample and well reinforced rail mounted cleat for the following reasons:
1 Ease of installation aft of pulpit stanchion,
2 Avoid chafe at the rail chock due to rode stretch between chock and center line cleat,
3 Reduce tendency to "sail-about-the-anchor" with a jerk and tack at each extreme,
4 Makes a fixed 'target' and a lee for boarding from the dingy.

To get our boat to lie quietly, we attach a spring line(?) between the anchor rode and a cockpit winch then let out another boat length or so of rode as needed to stop self-tacking. The boat then rides off to one side of dead-down-wind, or current, and stays there.
Gudenuph
This is interesting and sounds like something I might experiment with if I can't figure out a way to rig an anchor roller. I can't imagine this set up is too comfortable in any kind of a swell though.

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
Oday 25 and Oday 26 have different foredeck layouts. You might put a large mooring cleat aft of the anchor locker on the center line. The anchor rode would need a chafe guard, 1" hose works well. My Oday 25 swings at anchor even with my anchor roller setup.