• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

O'Day 25 Shoal Draft Centerboard Water Leak

May 14, 2012
Oday 25 Shoal draft Mystic
My keel has water trapped inside of it. I found that I had a missing screw on one of the plates- starboard side- that hold the centerboard axle wedges in place. The screw thread was stripped out. I removed the other screw on that side and alot of water came out. When I blow into the screw hole, I can hear there is a cavity in there. On the port side, both screws were in place, one came out easily and the other broke at the screw head. No water came out from that side. The fasteners are 1/4-20 SS flat heads, 2 in each plate. When I tried to dremel the broken screw head, the carbide bit would not penetrate it.
In the bilge, there are some rough areas of glasswork forward of the center beam, but mostly smooth epoxy coated glass. There must be a hole or crack that isn't visible, that bilge water is penetrating. I get water inside mostly when heady rain, wind forces through the companionway.
Does anyone know how the keel is constructed to give me some direction on how to further drain and fill the void in the keel? I couldn't tell what material the threads were cut into, fiberglass or a threaded insert? Since the area was wet, I couldn't get a good look to tell. I will return to the boat tomorrow, it should be dry enough to see.

Attachments

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
From experience ,it appears you have two separate concerns . The shoal draft keel is completely sealed off from the bilge . our shoal draft ,an '81 is lead encased .
Never the less water got into the bilge from a number of places . The biggest and easiest to resolve was the fresh water tank .
The gutter drains for the cockpit seats need to be kept clear of debris . Otherwise any rain water drains into the bilge way back under the cockpit . Some folks have had the tube for the centerboard pendant leak . The cooler drain hose that joins the sink may also lead to water in the bilge. Seal the chain plates and monitor all the bulkheads for water stains . I hope this helps

May 14, 2012
Besides the wind driven rain entering around the companiomway, I believe that water enters from the cockpit as there is usually water in the area under the sink. The boat is very clean and no buildup of debris around any drainage areas. I have a tarp on the aft section now as I want to dry it out as best possible.

May 14, 2012
I used low air pressure to leak check the bilge. I cut the head off of a bolt and drilled a hole through it and screwed it into one of the centerboard plate holes and attached the air line to it. I found leaks in the corners of the trunk and around the mast post. I set up a fan and heater inside and fight the good fight of drying out a bilge for fiberglass repair. The cavity still has salt water dripping out of it. I believe the threaded inserts for the centerboard plates are brass. One is stripped and one has a broken screw in it. I tried to tap out the screw with a small tungsten rod, tapping in a circular motion but its stuck.

Attachments

May 14, 2012
This pic shows the soap bubble better at the mast post. The other shows blue leak detector coming back out of the bilge from the air pressure, and soap bubbles in the corner of the centerboard trunk and bilge bottom.

Attachments

May 14, 2012
I talked to Rudy at D&R Marine, he told be that the threads are in 1 x 1 brass plates glassed in. I brought a few end cutting dremel bits, I will try to cut the broken screw out and retap that hole and the stripped hole with 5/6-18 threads. I found the bits and 316 SS screws on mcmaster-carr.com. the bilge glasswork shouldn't be too hard to do as long as I can can keep it warm and dry in there. I have a fan and heater set up inside.