O'Day 25 Rigging question

PamC

Oct 22, 2008
O'Day 25 Lake of the Woods, OR
Hi All,

I haven't posted here in a bit. Tomorrow we are launching our 1984 O'Day 25 for the first time. This is our 4th sailboat and 3rd O'Day. Our non-O'Day was a Catalina 25, so we're pretty familiar with mast raising and lowering, however we had to do a bit of engineering with this boat to get the system for this boat to work for us.

My question is this - Are both the upper and lower (or inner and outer) shrouds supposed to be inside the lifelines or is the upper run outside of the lifelines? When we did our test raising and lowering "exercises" we had it rigged so both shrouds are inside the lifelines, but the outer seems to rub against the lifeline.

The Owner's Manual doesn't have lifelines drawn in to the diagram nor do the rigging instructions address this issue. I looked at the photos in the Owners Gallery here, but I couldn't make out for sure which way others are doing this.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Both are inside the life lines, on my 1976 O'Day 25 the lifelines rub a bit if they are loose. I wrapped some rigging tape on the lifelines at these rub points.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
If your stanchions are slightly bent, which can happen over time, one of the outer shrouds may fit better on the outside of the lifeline. On my 1980 O 25, I had the lifeline inside the outer shroud on the port side. On the starboard side the outer shroud was inside the lifeline.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Based on @Ward H experience and mine, I'd leave those life lines down while rigging the mast.

PamC

Oct 22, 2008
O'Day 25 Lake of the Woods, OR
Thank you Ward, that's really helpful. It looks like it could go either way. We'll only have the boat launched for about 6 weeks this year so we'll be making a punch list of items like this.
We bought this boat in August of 2017 and are just now able to launch it due to low water at our usual sailing lake and other travel plans. So we're really looking forward to actually sailing her instead of just working on her!