O'day 25 - Keel cracks

Mar 12, 2013
Oday 25 Milwaukee
I've always had a persistent leaks in the bilge but could only guess as to the cause. The yard pulled the boat today and I had them blast the bottom of the keel to get the zebra mussels off. Along with getting rid of the mussels 30 years of bottom paint came off exposing large cracks along the bottom of the keel (picture attached). Mystery solved. Now the hard part. How to fix? The keel rests on 4 wood cross members severely limiting access. Do I do a caulk job every spring while the boat's in the sling before launch?

Thanks
Kevin
Milwaukee, WI

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
Block it up at the forward end and aft end of the keel, drop the board and then start grinding out the cracks on the bottom. If you do it now most of the moisture inside might dry over the winter. The extended forecast is for a mild spring. I wouldn't wait to start until next spring. You won't have to worry about filling it back in until then anyhow.

Nov 1, 2012
How could the water make it from there to the bilge? Is your keel hollow? I have an oday 26 and the distance from the outside bottom of the keel to the inside bottom of the bilge seems to be several inches. Is a 25 much different?

Mar 12, 2013
Oday 25 Milwaukee
I'm assuming the water migrates up between the lead & the fiberglass into the bilge. It's not a bolt on keel.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Rbone has it right. In the spring, pack the ground out beveled openings with epoxy saturated glass matting, let set up and grind off to surface level. Then sand down surrounding areas and cover over with at least a couple layers of fiberglass woven material. Sand down and then epoxy paint it. You might want to explore pouring in resin up in the bilge area to reseal glass to lead? Bottom paint should complete the job!
Chief

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
If this keel crack was the source of water in the bilge the boat cabin would fill with water and sink.

Nov 26, 2012
If water slowly leaks into the bilge I would expect the bilge pump to pump out as necessary. Chief

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
I'd give Rudy at D & R Marine a call and discuss this situation with him. He would know if this is a problem that need attention.

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
If the keel is a solid lead casting, for water to migrate up into the bilge it must be seeping up between the 'glass skin and the casting. On the outside of the keel or inside the c/b slot. Are you certain the leaks in the bilge are coming from the cracks on the bottom of the keel? Is the keel casting held in place by the fiberglass? Maybe there are tiny cracks up near the hull. Or the water is coming from somewhere else.

Mar 12, 2013
Oday 25 Milwaukee
I always suspected the water was coming in through cracks somewhere down there. Never thought they'd be so large. 3 days after haul out the cracks are still dripping.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
The Keel/Centerboard O'DAYS with the keels molded as part of the hull (basically, all K/CB models except the 1971-75 O'DAY 23) have lead "ingots" placed inside the keel cavity and then covered with resin and glass cloth. I would think that eventually any small crack could extend through that resin/glass matrix due to the freeze/thaw process each Winter of any water that seeped into the cracks.

Quoted from Robbie Pierce, VP of O'DAY from the early-mid 1970's: "Envelope “ keels. Boat hull & keel is one piece molded. While boat is still in the mold, pre-cast lead ingots (4 piece of lead) are placed in the keel void; glassed in place with resin; then the completed unit is extracted from the mold. An efficient, no maintenance way to attach keels."

Nov 1, 2012
That adds a lot to the conversation. It's easier to see how water could be forced up through those cracks into the bilge

Nov 26, 2012
It also reinforces my suggestion to let resin seep down from the bilges to rebond, and do so even before sealing the cracks! Chief

ODayCO

Nov 8, 2009
Oday 25 Ridgway, CO.
Oday 25

Hi I just hung my Oday 25 and dropped the centerboard. I have had a leaky bilge too. I am going to replace the centerboard CB and try to fiberglass any cracks on the outside and inside of the CB trunk. I also noticed the raising lowering pendant has worn a groove in the pipe where it enters the CB trunk (potential leak and stuck pendant). Any suggestions about the process are appreciated.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Autocad,
Do a little searching on the O'day forums here. Last summer a fellow from Florida I believe, bought a junk O'day 25 for parts and salvaged the lead. He did a neat autopsy of the keel and CB trunk. The photos show how the the keel is built.

Mess,
I have the worn groove on my 25. I asked Rudy and he was not aware of any issues with the pendant cutting a groove. He did confirm that there is not a sheave in there.
The first year my CB got stuck up twice and I blamed it on the 5/16" line having a too long and too thick splice. Last year I changed to a 1/4" line and it still got stuck. I now believe the shackle is too long and wide and gets caught in the top of the trunk, being that it is narrower. The shackle is definitely a halyard type shackle with the arm that twist locks it removed and a clevis pin put in. Going to look for a narrower and shorter shackle this year.

ODayCO

Nov 8, 2009
Oday 25 Ridgway, CO.
Hi Ward, I got my centerboard out yesterday and it is all broken. Also the centerboard trunk looks good but the hole and groove in the centerboard pendant sheave is an obvious leak. I will try to marine X around the pendant tube entrance to the trunk and file out the groove. I hope this cures my leak!

Attachments

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
That's a good photo of the set up and your issue. It does look like it might be the cause of your leak.
Mine did not look that bad but I need to get a better look this spring.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Autocad,
Do a little searching on the O'day forums here. Last summer a fellow from Florida I believe, bought a junk O'day 25 for parts and salvaged the lead. He did a neat autopsy of the keel and CB trunk. The photos show how the the keel is built.

I looked that post up, but couldn't access the pictures. did anyone perhaps save them and could repost them? I would love to have copies for my O'DAY 25 Manual files.