O'Day 25 Cabin top core material

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2009
Oday 25 Olympia
I'm planning to install a Dickinson solid fuel heater in our 1976 O'Day 25. This requires a 5 inch diameter hole through the cabin top for the 3 inch flue. The hole location would be just abaft the mast and just to port of center.
My question is what is the core material and any preferred method and/or precautions for cutting the hole? Also, how should the exposed core be finished off?
I suspect I'm opening a 'can o worms' but I hate surprises like finding the can full of frogs instead.
I could sure use any help you might give.
Thanks much, Geohan

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
My 77 has what appears to be end grained balsa as the core material. I dug some wet stuff out and picked at some dry core too. You might want to dig some core out and fill it in with thickened epoxy and then use whatever sealing method is recommended for the flue. Go to Maine Sail's forum here and read the bedding with Butyl thread. he has information in there on how to properly remove some core and fill in with epoxy. Will keep your core dry if you develop a leak.

Aug 4, 2009
Oday 25 Olympia
cb32863
Thanks for your reply. The Main Sail tutorial covers the subject about one hundred and thirty percent! I'm much less apprehensive now and am eager to get on with it.
Thanks again, Geohan

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Glad I could point you in the direction and you have the info you need. Good luck with the repair.
:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.