Oday 25 C/B outboard shaft length

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I think the mount can influence that. I have a old 2 stroke 7.5 with electric start and generator, 20" shaft and it stays in the lake unless waves pick up. I might upgrade to an 9.8 hp electric start 4 cycle 25" this winter if I can sell the 2 stoke and a 6hp short shaft I have.

May 14, 2012
Oday 25 Shoal draft Mystic
It has the stock retractable mount and I will be using it in the sound. Closing on it this week, '73 C/B model.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
With the high free board of the 25, a 25" shaft will let you have the OB head and controls a little higher than if you go with a 20".
If your buying new you will be getting a 4 stroke. For the sound I am guessing you may want a 9.9. Your original mount is most likely rated for the torque and weight of a 2 stroke.
Be sure to check the transom on the inside and consider an additional backing plate.

May 14, 2012
I closed on the deal. The engine is a 2004 Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke, 25" shaft. It needs to be gone thru to be dependable, but is in good condition. Since I only paid $2000 for the boat and it is in excellent cond., I wouldnt mind buying a new motor for it.

May 14, 2012
Someone beefed it up with an aluminum plate but I will be checking the original core for rot and strengthening and reglassing.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Sounds like you got a good deal. If that OB runs well, and it should, your golden since the previous owner already beefed up the transom with a backing plate.
My 25 came with a 2002 Yamaha 9.9 which had an electric choke. It was a PIA.
Ended up with a Yamaha T9.9 with E Start and Power Tilt. That was money well spent for us.

Have fun sailing!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Sounds like a steal. At that price if I couldn't fix the motor I'd pay a small boat shop to fix it.

May 14, 2012
I can fix it. I had the same engine, 1989. It had an auto choke thst used wax. When the wax melted, it opened the choke butterfly. Worked great until it would not open snymore. At that point I sold the boat, a Bristol 27 to do other things for a while.

May 14, 2012
Ive had bad luck with shops. Had my Yamaha 9.9 lower unit case broken when a water pump change was attempted. Other bad stories from people I know that paid alot of money and had gaskets installed in the wrong orientation, flywheel coming loose, etc. If I cant fix it, Ill buy new.

May 14, 2012
The boat just needs a new depthsounder, thicker V berth cushions, and a 2nd battery.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
The early O'DAY 25 (1975-6) had less ballast than the later ones and so sits higher in the water, around late 1976-7 O'DAY added about 300# more ballast to the K/CB 25 which resulted in the boat sitting about 3" lower (though, strangely, the posted draft never changed?). I knew someone with a 1975 model that despite using a 20" shaft (long) outboard, mentioned that the outboard would ventilate (come partway out of water) in waves. He later had a 1978 model with the OMC inboard and liked the advantage of the deep prop. So, anyway, he advised other 25 owners to use a 25" shaft (X-Long) once they became readily available.
Oh, and your new O'DAY 25 cannot be a 1973 model, first model year was 1975 (Production started in late 1974 though, around August).

These same recommendations about outboard shaft lengths would also apply to the fin-keel model of the 25.

May 14, 2012
Yes, it is a 1975. I removed all of the teak and refinished it, almost done reinstalling. I want to add an anchor light, it never has one. The mast is on a stand now. Any advise on how to snake a cable down the mast?
The engine parts are ordered, and cushion work is underway.
Available depthsounders are 2 inch diameter, my old one is 4 inch, so I need to find a creative way to fill the hole.
I need to make a shelf in the hatchway for the gas tanks. There is a glassed in stringer along the hull, I need to add one along the cockpit and fasten the shelf. I want to make the first 2 feet of it a removable section with a partition to hold my stern anchor.

May 14, 2012
Also, would 100' of 1/2" anchor line with 3/8" chain be sufficient for shoreline anchoring?