O'Day 23 winches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2009
Oday 23 Up Nort'n WI
My boat has a pair of Enkes AR-18 winches. If anyone is familiar with these, I have a couple of questions.
Mike

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
My boat has a pair of Enkes AR-18 winches. If anyone is familiar with these, I have a couple of questions.
Mike
- - - - // - - - -

Mike,

Go ahead and post the questions.

I have rebuilt a pair of AR-18'. It has been a couple of years but I believe that they are two speed. Fairly standard if you have disassembled and reassembled winches. The 'lewmar' springs available from lewmar, west marine, defender will work to replace any broken springs.

As with all winches you will need a few special tools such as dentist type probe and needle nose pliers. And reverse pliers like used for "D" rings. Otherwise you do not need to be mechanical genius to rebuild.

If you can change tire on car, you can disassemble and clean. But do it all off boat and on large flat surface with lots of light.

Just take your time and be careful not to loose any parts.

Ed K

Attachments

Sep 30, 2009
Oday 23 Up Nort'n WI
Thanks for the reply Ed.
I have answered a couple of my own questions, but I have a couple more.
I see that you cannot properly service this type of winch without removing it from the boat. The driveshaft on this model has a ring on the underside, that can only be removed from the bottom. It's a two person job because the nuts are in the cabin above the sink(port), and stove(starboard).
On the newer winches, everything can be done with the winch in place.
You mentioned that the springs and pawls from Lewmar winches would work. Would anyone know which part #'s? I don't have a place where I can see the parts up close and personal for comparison, and the online places I called said they would need to see them.
The lightweight oil for the pawls I have covered but what is so special about "winch grease"? I have grease for all parts of an airplane, what type and weight is that stuff?
I enjoy doing all the maitenance, but only if I take the time to do it right. I'm making a detailed log with pictures so the next owner will know exactly what is on the boat and how to service it.
Thanks again,
MikeB

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Mike B

Thanks for the reply Ed.
I have answered a couple of my own questions, but I have a couple more.
I see that you cannot properly service this type of winch without removing it from the boat. The driveshaft on this model has a ring on the underside, that can only be removed from the bottom. It's a two person job because the nuts are in the cabin above the sink(port), and stove(starboard).
On the newer winches, everything can be done with the winch in place.
You mentioned that the springs and pawls from Lewmar winches would work. Would anyone know which part #'s? I don't have a place where I can see the parts up close and personal for comparison, and the online places I called said they would need to see them.
The lightweight oil for the pawls I have covered but what is so special about "winch grease"? I have grease for all parts of an airplane, what type and weight is that stuff?
I enjoy doing all the maitenance, but only if I take the time to do it right. I'm making a detailed log with pictures so the next owner will know exactly what is on the boat and how to service it.
Thanks again,
MikeB
--------------- // ----------

Mike here are some pictures of ER 8:

Attachments

Sep 30, 2009
Oday 23 Up Nort'n WI
Thanks Ed,
The AR-18's look like this:

image-1876687814.jpg

When my sailing partner comes up for the Minneapolis Boat Show, I'll turn the nuts in the cabin while he turns the screws.
Mike

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
winches

Thanks Ed,
The AR-18's look like this:

View attachment 47088

When my sailing partner comes up for the Minneapolis Boat Show, I'll turn the nuts in the cabin while he turns the screws.
Mike
- - - - // - - - -

The first time I rebuilt a winch I used the rebuild kit that West Marine carries by Lewmar. You can also order direct from Lewmar.

While the springs are not exact, they worked and were the only springs I could locate.

Naturally your company is long gone and many others. So the springs and pawls are hard to come by.

I suspect that the springs could be made by a machine shop that makes springs, but they would cost and probably want to make a 100.

If you find another source for springs, post it for the rest of us.

Supposedly you can get parts for Barient and Barlow from the company that bought them out of bankruptcy, but I have been told that a reply takes 6 months, so I never tried. And then only if they have the parts.

I suspect you make a pawl by making a mold and melting metal into, I have done that with plastic pieces, but not metal.

Remember not to fool around with winch until you clean flat surface. Springs and pawls will flop out and so will those retaining rings.

Again, keep us posted.

Ed K

Attachments

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
winches

- - - - // - - - -

The first time I rebuilt a winch I used the rebuild kit that West Marine carries by Lewmar. You can also order direct from Lewmar.

While the springs are not exact, they worked and were the only springs I could locate.

Naturally your company is long gone and many others. So the springs and pawls are hard to come by.

I suspect that the springs could be made by a machine shop that makes springs, but they would cost and probably want to make a 100.

If you find another source for springs, post it for the rest of us.

Supposedly you can get parts for Barient and Barlow from the company that bought them out of bankruptcy, but I have been told that a reply takes 6 months, so I never tried. And then only if they have the parts.

I suspect you make a pawl by making a mold and melting metal into, I have done that with plastic pieces, but not metal.

Remember not to fool around with winch until you clean flat surface. Springs and pawls will flop out and so will those retaining rings.

Again, keep us posted.

Ed K
- - - - // - - - -

You would have thunk that Main Sail or Captain Herring would have piped in on this thread. I was over on Big Boats and read Maine Sail's comments and his reference to the Ships' Store operated by them, they could have pointed to:

http://shop.sailboatowners.com/cat.php?51380/Winch Maintenance

Here is a source for parts and instructions for winches, imagine that.

Ed K

Attachments

Sep 30, 2009
Oday 23 Up Nort'n WI
If I were as busy as Phil, especially during the holidays, I wouldn't be reading this stuff either!
I can usually find things on this site by searching Google, but I like the great ideas and experience that other sailors share.

Thanks for the help,
MikeB

Sep 30, 2009
Oday 23 Up Nort'n WI
Hi Ed,
Don't be offended, but I don't do politics. I'm here for the sailing stuff and thankful to have a place where folks are willing to put up with my dumb questions.
I may have found a source for the winch parts. If it pans out, I'll post the details.
I was going to lift the boat off the trailer this weekend, but my dang boat stands are too short! The Sanibel is only 18 feet and they are just right. Unless the marina has another "spring tippet sale", I will have to come up with another way to support it when I get the centerboard out.
All part of sailing....
MikeB

image-918286831.jpg

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
bottom work

Hi Ed,
Don't be offended, but I don't do politics. I'm here for the sailing stuff and thankful to have a place where folks are willing to put up with my dumb questions.
I may have found a source for the winch parts. If it pans out, I'll post the details.
I was going to lift the boat off the trailer this weekend, but my dang boat stands are too short! The Sanibel is only 18 feet and they are just right. Unless the marina has another "spring tippet sale", I will have to come up with another way to support it when I get the centerboard out.
All part of sailing....
MikeB

- - - - // - - - -

Mike,

The archives have many demonstrations of alternatives to jack stands. Especially may be found under O'Day 23, 25 and 26 sailboats.

Typically they involve cinder blocks and 4 x 4 's or even 8 x 8's and common car jacks.

Ask an open ended question for references on jacking a boat off trailer to paint bottom. Search the archives for pictures of which there have been several demonstations.

You said that you are not into politics, are you a U. S. citizen? If yes, then you have an obligation that you cannot walk away from.

Ed K

Attachments

Sep 30, 2009
Oday 23 Up Nort'n WI
Hi Ed,
I need to make a new pad for the motor mount. As long as I'm at it, maybe I will make 4 more about 6" thick the size of the boat stand pads. That would probably be enough to clear the trailer.
As long as I'm scraping the layers of paint off the bottom, I might as well do the rudder and board. That pennant is ratty, so who knows what shape that board, and hardwear is in. The Sanibel rudder was really banged up and came out pretty well.

image-3458806364.jpg

image-1554677447.jpg

MikeB

Sep 30, 2009
81 O'Day 23-2.......... Kiwi Magic Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Hi Mike, I was looking at your pic of the front jack stands under your 23.
I did not see anything tying them together so they will not separate under load, please do this for safety. You have a very nice looking trailer too.
I think once you get the winch apart, all it will need is a good cleaning and grease job. If you need springs and can't find them, I could probably make them for you.

John

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Mike and John Show

I did not see anything tying them together so they will not separate under load, please do this for safety. You have a very nice looking trailer too.
I think once you get the winch apart, all it will need is a good cleaning and grease job. If you need springs and can't find them, I could probably make them for you.

John
- - - - // - - - -

John and Mike:

good point - standard safety practice is to 'chain' jacks together - rope stretches.

It was said, "If you need springs and can't find them, I could probably make them for you."

Can you make winch springs????

Ed K

Attachments

Sep 30, 2009
81 O'Day 23-2.......... Kiwi Magic Oakville, Ontario, Canada
- - - - // - - - -

John and Mike:

good point - standard safety practice is to 'chain' jacks together - rope stretches.

It was said, "If you need springs and can't find them, I could probably make them for you."

Can you make winch springs????

Ed K

Yes I can make springs, as long as I can get the right size spring wire.

Sep 30, 2009
Oday 23 Up Nort'n WI
Technodad said:

John
Hi John and thanks for the spring offer. I may have found a source for the winch springs and pawls. If it becomes reality, I'll post the details for other Enkes winch owners. If not, it is nice to know that you could make them.
The boat is being supported by the trailer. The boat stands are snugged up so I could see how much shimming I will need to make them work. When I use them under the Sanibel, they are chained together to keep them from "kicking out". I could use the lift but I need to see how I will safely support the boat and keel, when I take it off the trailer. Lots of things to figure out with a new boat. I removed the old brake lines today. It's time to break out the flaring tools. The old lines were an acident wating to happen, between their condition and routing.

image-59416096.jpg

MikeB

Attachments

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Mike, so how about a clue

Hi John and thanks for the spring offer. I may have found a source for the winch springs and pawls. If it becomes reality, I'll post the details for other Enkes winch owners. If not, it is nice to know that you could make them.
The boat is being supported by the trailer. The boat stands are snugged up so I could see how much shimming I will need to make them work. When I use them under the Sanibel, they are chained together to keep them from "kicking out". I could use the lift but I need to see how I will safely support the boat and keel, when I take it off the trailer. Lots of things to figure out with a new boat. I removed the old brake lines today. It's time to break out the flaring tools. The old lines were an acident wating to happen, between their condition and routing.

View attachment 47317

MikeB
- - - - // - - - -

Mike said, "I may have found a source for the winch springs and pawls. If it becomes reality, I'll post the details for other Enkes winch owners."

Gee, thanks for clue.

Ed K

Sep 30, 2009
Oday 23 Up Nort'n WI
The clue is that a friend is travelling in Europe and thinks he may have a source for the parts, you want his number Ed? Or can you hold your pants on until I get more details?

ik spreek een heel klein beetje Nederlands

;)

MikeB

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
ik spreek een heel klein beetje Nederlands

The clue is that a friend is travelling in Europe and thinks he may have a source for the parts, you want his number Ed? Or can you hold your pants on until I get more details?

;)

MikeB
- - - - // - - - -

Mike,

Great reply. My point was that maybe others want springs or pawls for orphan winches.

Consider that information might be of interest to Maine Sail or Captain Herring to add to the page I referenced on this site with similar info...

Ed K

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.