O'day 23- Will it point up to the wind Well?

May 14, 2012
Oday 25 Shoal draft Mystic
Considering the boat, the price is right and it has a nice roomy cabin. I was wondering if it will point up good, on a nice reach. The ability to anchor in shallow water is a plus for the type of anchoring I like to do. Is a 6hp four stroke 20" shaft sufficient for it?
Thanks

Jan 22, 2007
Oday 23 Cedar Creek Marina Bayville NJ
Yes, I can usually point as high as anybody else I am sailing with. It definitely points (close to the wind) better with the center board down. In light winds without the center board she will slide a bit. If you have a geneo sail and try to reef it in heavy winds I cannot point as high as I can with just the jib. The six will push to boat along just fine providing you are not in high winds and or currents. The 20" shaft will be a problem in the waves. Just for reference I have a 9.9 25" shaft and it still comes out of the water in waves. If you are in high winds, with waves and current you are not going to fair well with the 6hp 20" Godspeed

May 14, 2012
Good to know it would perform well. Have to check the shaft length. A 25" is needed for sure.

Jul 28, 2016
O'day 23 Salem, MA
Have a 20" on a 9.8 Tohatsu on our O'Day 23 with the adjustable lift/lower mounting bracket and have never had it come out in rough seas. I think it has more to do with the mounting position and the type of adjustable mounting bracket. Ours can be lowered until the powerhead is just out of the water or in calm seas raised for easier tiller manipulation especially when docking.

20" is fine, but I'd imagine 25" couldn't hurt either. I just wouldn't pass up a significantly better deal over it.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I'm with Cujo665 on the engine mount. It all depends on the type of mount and the adjustability of the mount . The only problem with the shorter shaft will be how far over the stern you will have to lean to operate the engine. We never go to the last notch on our mount with a 25" shaft and there is at least 4" of travel left to the last notch. The only time we wished for more power than our Tohatsu 6 Sail Pro was into 35+ knots and 3'-4' waves on Lake Yellowstone. The boat was moving at around 2 knots. No wind, flat conditions less than 1/2 throttle is hull speed.

I think the 23 points as high as any boat in it's category (keel/centerboard cruiser). The only issue is the original boat had no traveller so you can not bring the main up to centerline. Port tacks are better than starboard tacks due to this issue and the offset backstay attachment of the main sheet. A wire rope (or amsteel line) traveller can be fashioned easily to eliminate this problem and still keep the cockpit clean. It's an enjoyable boat to sail but like most shoal draft boats you need to reduce sail a little early. Have fun.

May 14, 2012
I found an Oday 25 that Im about to close on. I sold my Mariner so easily. Im actually 200.00 ahead with this switch, and the 25 is up on stands with winter storage paid. It has been kept up well, nice gelcoat, rig, hull liner fabric, woodwork. No sighns of water leakage.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I found an Oday 25 that Im about to close on. I sold my Mariner so easily. Im actually 200.00 ahead with this switch, and the 25 is up on stands with winter storage paid.
Winter storage! What is that. We are preparing our boats to go into the water in Oct. for the season. :) :poke:
I think the O'Day 25 is a great choice. The amount of space is about 10 times more than the Mariner. Mariners are a hot commodity even out west. A friend sold his in about 2 hours.
Your screen name doesn't imply that you have a super cub also, does it. If so, let me tell you first hand, airplanes and boats don't mix, especially when you retire. :waycool: But then again we are scouring Trade a Plane every night.:banghead:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
poke the bulkheads outside and near the top around the chain plates to make sure they are solid. My outside laminate was visually solid but as soon as I touched it, it gave way. Lower bulkheads by head also rot and the lower compression post rot if it is sitting in water. I looked at a couple of O'Day 25s and then one I got was the best shape but still needed some bulkhead rot addressed. My compression post was black, but when I drilled small 1/16" holes the wood was dry and solid.