O'day 23 vang

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
So the little wire end with the steel ball let go at the end of the season, killing my last sail, I did jury rig but still...
Need to buy a new wire with ball.
I'd replaced the line and blocks at the begging of the season, just need the wire.
Where can I find such a thing.
I'm sure many will suggest D&R, I've had nothing but bad luck with Rudy, has never answered emails and phone calls go either unanswered or un-returned.
If there is another way to attach to the boom, I'm OK with that also?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I can understand the Rudy issue too, not great luck with getting a hold of him my self either. I wouldn't be surprised if this Vang is no longer available also, so why not just junk it for some thing new?

https://shop.sailboatowners.com/search.php?brand=sailboat&kw=Boom+vang

I've been considering a Boom Kicker for my 25 as it would also get rid of my crap topping lift and less then useful vang, which sounds similar to what you have. I suppose if you really want the old Vang and parts I might be talked into taking mine off now and selling it to you cheap. I bet they are similar between a 23 and a 25.

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
give me a picture and a price, we can go from there :)
Line and blocks are brand new, just need to attach to the boom

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Ok will be a few days till I can get to the boat.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Any good rigging shop, even "WORST" Marine can make a new cable for your book vang. Upgrading to a newer vang design though, is certainly worth checking on!

D&R MARINE, Rudy is Rudy, I've had good luck with him but others have had difficulty. Forget e-mails, he runs a true "pop & mom" and sadly (OH to have this kind of "problem") gets so many e-mails that he can't answer them all (I know, bad customer service to not answer all messages, no argument from me there!). Phone calls USUALLY produce best results, but call during regular business hours for Rudy, follow up any voice mail that you leave by calling him back if no reply from him within a day or so. He lost out on a sale for me one time when I needed a new CB cable for my DS II and he did not call back before I had one made elsewhere. I'd also call him to follow up on web orders, he often can suggest better ways of fixing things (often at lower price!)

I am VERY fortunate though, since I live within about 30 minutes of his shop, I usually just stop in on a Saturday morning and get GREAT, in-person service along with a good conversation about O'DAYs. Rudy has treated me well (most of the time), and occasionally, too well if you ask me! If you are patient and work within Rudy's "quirks", he can be very helpful and will go the extra mile to provide what you need.......... but D&R is not a major, retail giant, sometimes it takes more time to get your order, if Rudy is very busy....... he dos his best, but he is not a young kid, and if he is swamped, delays will occur. My fear is that he won't live forever and he isn't real interested in training anyone to take over the business when he can no longer be there for us.

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
This was not meant to be a D&R bash, let's redirect this thread.
I've bought standing rigging from him, was just an observation.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
What about making one? They aren't complicated.
I haven't spent much time thinking about putting a vang on my Mariner, but I have a bunch of old fiberglass dome tent poles that would make great kickers.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
What about making one? They aren't complicated.
I haven't spent much time thinking about putting a vang on my Mariner, but I have a bunch of old fiberglass dome tent poles that would make great kickers.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Wish I had the time Will,

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
@Captmayhem I did finally check my old Vang and leader and it is in bad shape and I would not use it. Since mine was trashed I ordered a new one and plan to install a Boom Bail with a through bolt. I'm not sure which one to order yet, DR lists 3 types with the same fit to the boom but different lengths. This was what was recommended at my club also a a much stronger connection since I'll have a functional vang now.

http://www.drmarine.com/products.asp?cat=186

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
John, I have enough line on the vang, I could easily do this also, which block did you end up getting, I'd think the shortest would make the most sense.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
The 3" might work, but the 4" gives me enough to work with and get the single bolt centered in the boom and no rubbing. The bail is suppose to be better by preventing binding.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
FWIW, I attached my vang to the boom with a bail. I used self-tapping screws, not a through-bolt because I questioned my ability to drill the holes properly. I attached the bottom end to the mast with another bail, also using screws. It's been about 15 years, and I've never had a problem.

Oct 8, 2016
O'DAY 22 East End Yacht Club
I did not have this short cable at all when I bought my 22 MH so I measured the Boom fitting carefully and bought a custom made one from Mcmaster-Carr. I think I spent less than 10 bucks. I didn't know at first what I even was looking for until I finally found a picture online.

Mar 4, 2019
Hunter 40.5 Baja
For anyone else reading this, I made a boom vang from a 4 to 1 block. The bottom of the block is lashed to an extra long mast base bolt, the top to the boom using a 'net' to grab the boom, held in place in part by two rivited pad eyes to hold the net from scooting forward. Works great and the rivets are only subject to an indirect force.