Oday 23 question

Aug 23, 2016
N/A N/A Texas
Yes, I posted in another thread today that I am looking at an Oday 25. That is true but as the title states, this is specifically about an Oday 23-2, 1983 model that I am presently in the process of moving for a friend.

I have the mast down and loaded on the trailer. As I was sitting in the boat, on the trailer being pulled out of the lake, I gave the centerboard one more tug just to make sure it was up and the rope just kept coming and of course, I thought, " uh oh " and sure enough, it somehow disconnected from the centerboard. The rope interestingly enough, as I continued to pull it up into the cockpit changed from a what appeared to a 5/16 inch braided line to a steel or more likely stainless steel cable maybe 1/4 to 1/8th inch in diameter? This cable end was not frayed or rusty and looked as though it had been cut clean on the end as if it was pulled out of one of the crush type cable clevises. I wouldn't know for sure and this is why I am writing this to ask the following.

What does the original attachment look like? I cannot see it until I get the boat lifted up off the trailer vertically as it is not an option to move it backward on this particular trailer now. Is there no other option except what DR Marine has? Seems like I would be able to go to West Marine which is local for me and find something to fix this once the boat is lifted. Thanks

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Md80max,
I can't really say about your O'Day 23 question, but my O'Day Mariner CB was attached to the cable with a crimped eyeloop through the back of the CB

Several Mariner Class members have been able to successfully snake a cable down through the hole and back up using an extra person and wire coat hangers to then use the cable doubled on the winch.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 23, 2016
N/A N/A Texas
Will,

Thank you so very much, we ended up repairing it today. Hired a shop with a boat lift and used cable clamps and back in business! So glad to have my buddies boat back in the water! Thanks for the reply!

Max