Oday 23 or Oday 272

Jun 25, 2021
Oday 272 Northport
Moving up from a 22'. I have a number of boats available, and will prob NOT be using my new medium SUV to launch. May either pay a transporter to my driveway or put on hard at a marina. (I had previously been real hot on a Catalina 25, but think the Oday may be better built. The separate head on all 3 boats is nicer for the female persuasion especially. Head room is one reason for keeping away from a MacGregor or Cat 22.)
There are 2 different boats available nearby: an '83 Oday 23 with yard trailer, and an '87 Oday 272 (not LE, but steering wheel). Prices are $2000 / $3500, and both have decent Tohatsu/Honda 9.9 outboards. I'm concerned about maintenance costs for the larger boat, and also the ability of the 272 to sail to windward. Of course, the larger boat has more storage, bigger berths, less tender. Any thoughts on going for the larger boat, or even other boats to consider besides the Catalina 25 ?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
A few posts of interest…

I think I am partial to the O’Day :)

Greg

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
There's a big difference in size between a 23 and a 27, and how large a boat you want is something only you can decide.

All things being equal, I wouldn't anticipate a lot of difference in maintenance costs between the two.

Jun 25, 2021
Oday 272 Northport
Thanks for your replies so far. Great review on the 272. Tender, healing, yet 6 knots close-hauled and 8.5kt on a reach!!
Yes, there is a BIG difference in "heft" between a 23, 25, and the 272. I was recently on a O-30, and have sailed on a Hunter 30 often. The C-22, and probably the O-23, was tender, meaning bobbing around. The 30's were solid sailing vessels. Headroom is always nice (hence not the MacGregor 25, and moving up now from a Tanzer 22, both around 4.5'). I really did not want to deal with the condition of centerboard pins, winch, and line. Then again, I guess that keel bolts have to be changed eventually.
The Catalina 25 is probably the right size, headroom, and finish. Unfortunately, the only one close by is in Hartford, and I would need to rent a pickup to bring home the trailer it is on. Without spending $100's on a rental, I can have a $2000 O-23 (with dingy & trailer that can be rehabbed), $2500 O-25 or $3200 O-272. Not much difference in prices, yet big difference in amenities.
Hopefully I'll take a look at these choices in the next week. Want to get SOME time on the water, as a mooring is already set up for me in the harbor.

Jun 25, 2021
Oday 272 Northport
I realize that my wording is sounding like a newb, and also rambling about choices. I've read numerous posts on here and other forums. And many of the reviews.
Promise that I'll ask better and more specific questions after I get a boat on the water. My Tanzer 22 has been too much of a project boat, and I'm ready to sell her. Great trailer, and I might keep it if I get the O-23.

Jun 25, 2021
Oday 272 Northport
OKAY!! I'm the new owner of an O'Day 272 !!! It is so much easier walking around the inside (yes, I said walking, not stooping) of this boat. Just painted the bottom, and launching either today or Friday. Will hopefully bring it closer to home on Monday. Currently looking for someone to help me transit NYC and Hell's Gate. Then onto her new homeport of Northport, NY. The mooring is already set up, and waiting for a floating boat.
Thanks for your opinions.....I'll keep you guys updated as things develop...