Oday 23 centerboard line

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Shafer

Does anyone know what it takes to replace the line on my centerboard that comes up into the cockpit. I have a '20 Oday 23 and the line is worn and about to break.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Which boat is it?

Bob, Which 23 is it? What year? The earlier boats were configured differently fromt the laters ones, I believe. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

M

Mike

Centerboard pennants

Justin is correct. The earlier models of the 23 were raised and lowered by means of a crank which was located on a post in the center of the cabin. this post also served to support the removable dinette table. I think this arrangement was used mostly on the poptop models. On later models, the pennant was fed directly up through the bridge deck (just outside the cabin hatch) and secured to a cleat. The one crank model I have seen used a wire cable as a pennant; all of the later bridge deck model controls I have seen use a line as the pennant. In either case, I don't think you want to replace the line when the boat is in the water. It is a fairly simple job so long as the boat is suspended or blocked high enough to allow the fitting attaching the pennant to the centerboard to be free of the keel trunk. If the boat is one of the newer models, you can run the new line to the centerboard in two ways: first, untie the stopper knot on the end of the pennant that keeps it from running through the deck (you may also want to remove the plastic grommet attached to the deck; this will give you access to a much wider hole). Then attach the new line to the end of the existing line in the cockpit with a very flat knot, or even by securely taping the butt ends together. Pull the old line through the hull from the keel. Voila, the new line is now through the hull. Undo the connection between the new and old lines, and attach the new line to the centerboard. You might want to replace the fitting while you are at it. Just make sure that the new fitting doesn't jam in the keel trunk. You could also use a metal rod or plumber's snake to push or guide a new line through the hull. If you do this, the rod or snake must be at least four feet long to make it all the way through the hull on the 23.

J

jay

centerboard line

I REPLACED MINE. WITH BOAT ON JACK STANDS DROP CENTERBOARD. INSTALL NEW CABLE DOWN FROM CABIN. ALL CONNECTIONS ARE EXPOSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.