O'Day 23 battery size

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
This might sound like a silly question, but bear with me please!

(TLDR - what's the largest physical size battery that will fit in the port hatch in an O'Day 23?)

My brother has an O'day 23 (not sure what year), that he currently has slipped in a marina, and I'm able to go use it when he isn't up with his family. So in family spirit, I'd like to go ahead and replace / upgrade a few things, notably his battery. Currently, he's using generic 12v automotive batteries - he has one in the boat, and another that he charges at home. When the one on board runs low, he swaps and charges that one while the other sits in place. Since the boat is rarely used in situations where the lights or anything are used, it works fine for him.

However, I'd like to drop in a brand new deep cycle, and a solar panel with charge controller for him to have, along with adding a 12v receptacle, and some general re-wiring and clean-up. So it won't be a horribly expensive endeavor but something that will help in little ways. My question is about the physical size. Since the battery is in the port hatch in the cabin, I can only assume that it'll take a Group 31 just fine since it's only an inch longer and the rest is negligible, but since I'll be picking up whatever battery I can fit, prior to going back to the boat this weekend, I wanted to see what the largest size physically I can fit in there, or what other recommendations are (He does use the ice chest, so replacing that with a pair of GC2s wouldn't be ideal)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
This may be a tough one since every boat I've seen of this age has been modified to some extent. My battery in a '78 O'Day23 is in the port cockpit locker on a mount that is glassed to the stiffener. A group 24 plastic battery box fits the mount like a glove. If we keep the boat much longer I will move the AGM battery (plus add one) to a position under the V birth to move weight forward. With 4 less than average weight people in the cockpit our boat drags the stern.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Look around the dumpster or the shop for an old 31 you can use for a trial fit.

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
Unfortunately, there aren't many places around me to go diving for one, and sadly, the "local" Sam's where I was going to grab the battery, is in a different direction than his boat. So I finally broke down today and called and asked him if there was room for something larger, and told him what my plan was. I guess this was as good as the surprise was going to be. He told me there used to be a tray, but somewhere over time, that went to heck, so there will be no issues fitting a 31 in there.

I'll pick that up in the morning tomorrow and take it up and get ideas for other things. I also ordered a 50w flexible panel, charge controller, multifunction battery display, new fuse holders, wire, and waterproof connectors. He told me the electrical needed an overhaul, so no better time than the present to start!

Thanks for the advice :)