O'Day 23-1, Stabilizing and strengthening the stern rail

Oct 20, 2014
O'Day 23-1 Lake Champlain, Vermont
I don't know how many other O'Day (or other brand) models were made with a rickety push pit but if yours is one of them you may want to read on. On my 1974 23-1, the rear uprights supporting the stern rail were just press-fit into slots in the rail. I imagine this was done (46 years ago) to allow for some "wiggle room" in assembly. Presumably that saved the company some assembly costs. The problem, of course, is that this makes that rail feel rickety rather than solid and stable.

I just removed my stern rail and brought it to a local bicycle maker to have the upper ends of two uprights welded to the rail. The welds are excellent and the stern rail feels much stronger and more stable. Ideally, this welding would be done with the stern rail in place (on the boat) to ensure that the uprights are welded in the right position and at the right angle. I couldn't do that now, for logistical reasons, but recommend it. Whatever grade stainless O'Day used for that rail took welding with no problem.

Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone else is unhappy with their rickety stern rail. I feel that the change is a huge improvement. Of course, it's important to find a good welder who has experience with stainless.

Naturally, the drop off and pickup at the welders was done with a mask on, social distancing, etc.

Last edited: