O'Day 222:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Awww, man, that's mean! I can't go buying a bigger boat until I get a beefier tow platform!

:)

Brian

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Awww, man, that's mean! I can't go buying a bigger boat until I get a beefier tow platform!

:)

Brian
When I bought my boat new at the Boston Boat show back in the 1980s, we owned a Plymouth Horizon and I drove a six cylinder chevy pickup truck with 3 speeds on the column. I was able to tow my boat home with the pickup but as far as pulling it up a boat ramp with that truck,--forget it.

I got rid of the pickup and bought a Delta 88 Oldsmobile and that's what I towed her with for a few years until I bought a Chevy Blazer. Where there is a will, there is always a way. I used my olds to trailer my boat to the Cape on weekends and various ramps in my area. I did it for eight years straight before joining the YC that I'm a member of to this day.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I think one of the bigger problems is knowledge. I know too much about towing now, so what I might have done in the past, I won't do now.

My Subaru had a max tow capacity of either 2000 or 2400 pounds, depending on where you look. And the 1 1/4" hitch has a max load of 200 pounds. So when I look at the little 192, with a theoretical displacement of 1400 pounds, and factor the trailer and all the junk I have put ON the boat, I'm right at my max limit. So I'm ok pulling the boat out and putting it in, towing maybe 15 miles to my friend's house for working on it, and stuff, but I'm not comfortable towing 2 hours down to the Chesapeake, which I'd really like to do. Even if I put a transmission cooler on the car...

That being said, I have "towed" a 222. Our friend has a lift and centerboard pit, and I had the boat over for pendant replacement. While I was there, he asked if I could move our other friend's 222 from the cul de sac to the driveway. What, a few hundred flat yards? OK. HOLY COW, was the tongue weight on the 222 heavy! I could really feel it lower the back of the car. But, yeah, I'm surely not going to be towing a 222.

In looking at bigger vehicles, such as the Honda Pilot, Nissan Pathfinder, even the Ford Escape, they all seem to have low tow capacities if you have a 4 cylinder motor (even as low as 1500# in some cases.) But if you have the V-6, it jumps to 4500# or better. I'm guessing this is a function of the V-6 getting a beefier transmission no matter front or 4 wheel drive.

Ugh. I bought the Subaru 2 years ago to be able to tow my Harpoon. Then dontcha know, I had it for a year and I had to go off and buy yet a bigger boat that needs more tow capacity. My vehicle choices have not had good timing or scalability...

Brian

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
The tongue weight on my trailer is about 210 lbs. I've reached and age where trailering is out of the question. As much as I hate doing bottom paint, a mooring is more practical for my boat these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.