Oday 222 roller furler jib/genoa sizing question

Jul 16, 2024
Oday 222 Harriet
Hello all, I purchased my Oday 222 a year or so ago and the previous owners had it outfitted with a hank-on 100% (I believe) jib. It works fine and is decent shape but I'm tired of flaking it on the foredeck and stowing it in the bag each time I sail. My wife would also love being able to lower canvas more quickly for when we go for a swim, or see a squall line approaching.

I'm planning to upgrade to a CDI FF2 furling jib setup in the upcoming year and am curious what other 222 owners think about size. I do not want to deal with new block location or annoying tacks because I sail on a small lake so am tacking every 5-10 min, so the 150% genoa is out. I'm debating between a 130% genoa or a standard 110/100% jib to go on the CDI FF2. I don't often want more sail area as the lake I sail tends to be windy (or I filter the days I sail based on wind) and moreover, gusty. However, I wouldn't mind the 130% for that occasional drifter day. I think I care more about reefing the jib as in a heavy day, IMO the 222 sails quite unbalanced i.e. weather helm with just the main, so would like to be able to fly a bit of headsail in 15-20 kt winds to keep the weather helm down. I also have aspirations to do some Great Lakes sailing so would like the foresail to sail ok roller-reefed.

Should I get the 130 genoa or 100 (or 110) jib? Would the 130 have much poorer shape reefed than a 100 jib reefed (partially furled)? Or is that a small tradeoff, and I should just get the 130 for light days? Thanks for input!