O'Day 222: Mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I agree with Rich on this. I have an adjustable back stay on my boat and I've never needed to mess with it. I just keep it set at a certain tension and it stays that way all summer long. Usually, when I'm on a run and I want more speed, I set my boom vang to tighten the leach. I'm more interested in how she sails upwind.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I also have some mast fixes as well. Mainly the sheaves that the main sheet halyard goes to. Both top and bottom are broken.

The bottom one is basically gone:

The top one is cracked.

I talked to Rudy from D&R and he indicated that he had no more left but to contact Rig-Rite for the proper sized sheave. Does anyone know what size we have for the Z-spar masts?

http://www.rigrite.com/spars/Zspar/Z-Sheaves.html
George,
The mast head sheave on my boat is Delrin and it is 1 3/8" wide, 1/2" thick, and the sheave should have a 3/8" outside dimension with a 5/16" inside dimension bushing for a 1/4" stainless steel bolt. I'm using a 1/4" 20 thread size bolt X 1 1/2" with a lock nut. Make sure you get an axle type bolt with the threads near the end. Rudy has these sheaves and can supply you with the bolt and nut.
Joe

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
Thanks Joe, Rich - what I might do is ask the Neil Pryde guys what they think. I should be getting the main in any day now. One of the guys I know from Neil Pryde offered to setup my main and adjust the rigging for me. Maybe I will just keep the mast neutral when I install the new rigging then he can do the adjustments as needed, giving me a little rake. I'll post back when I get it straightened out.

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
Well since it was a rain out on my launch day I didn't get to splash her. At least I took the time yesterday to get the mast ready for splash.

New Dwyer Tang installed:

And looky here. New VHF antenna, WiFi antenna, and windex ready for action:

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
Found an online copy of Illustrated Sail and Rig Tuning that has nice step by step on rigging a fractional setup like we have.

Jun 14, 2010
oday 222 Milltown, NB
Nice George

Looks like i won't be getting at mine this year.

Had you done anything to the bow end?

I take it you had to get the head stay made up with that ball fitting?

tom C

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
Yes. Just call up Rudy and indicate you need the Head Stay setup for Roller Furling. He will send you the proper Head Stay with the toggle at both ends as well as the Dwyer tang and rivots to install since you won't be using the t-fitting.

Finally got to launch the boat yesterday!

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
Status
Not open for further replies.